Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

making my ps2 work...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:20 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: making my ps2 work...

well dang guys, i went to toys r us and they didnt have jack s***. i need to get something by this week. where should i buy from?

Old 01-12-2008, 11:12 PM
HCF Member

that cig lighter adapter will work, trust me i had the exact thing on mine when i had it in hte car the ps2 does plug into 120v, but inside the ps2 is an adapter that converts 120v to 8. something volts so the one from amazon.com will work

Old 01-12-2008, 11:13 PM
HCF Member

well dang guys, i went to toys r us and they didnt have jack s***. i need to get something by this week. where should i buy from?
if im not mistaken walmart got them too

Old 01-13-2008, 04:36 AM
HCF Member

Looks like it, Ej1Rider:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4183750

Let us know how it turns out, JHS, and be sure to post up a DIY. Are you still planning on mounting it under the driver's seat?

Old 01-13-2008, 11:31 AM
HCF Member

mounting what? i already have the ps2 mounted in my glove box. ((and notice, that cigarette adapter will not work if i cut the wires and hard wire it.)) it says that there is a power regulator embedded into it (the plug) so in other words, if i cut it, then it wont work. im just gonna go to best buy and buy a power inverter i guess

Old 01-13-2008, 01:40 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: jhsplaya08

mounting what? i already have the ps2 mounted in my glove box. ((and notice, that cigarette adapter will not work if i cut the wires and hard wire it.)) it says that there is a power regulator embedded into it (the plug) so in other words, if i cut it, then it wont work. im just gonna go to best buy and buy a power inverter i guess
Sorry, I thought you mentioned before that you were mounting the PS2 under your driver seat.

I didn't mean to cut the regulator off, but rather to open 'er up and rewire it.

A power inverter will still work; just a bit more wire involved.

Good luck!

Old 01-13-2008, 03:29 PM
HCF Member

First off to end this war, I am an electrician & car audio installer. Ej1rider & Pirate x are right, and i am also (like I said to you in a previous thread). Get the cigarette lighter plug. The ps2 slim works on 8.5V DC, so that plug gets the 12V DC down to 8.5V DC with a regulater to keep it steady to 8.5V wich is perfect, as opposed to taking DC and go to AC, then go back to DC. inverter is only good if you have the big PS2 and are afraid to open it, cause the big PS2 uses DC too (I think 12V, if i remember correctly), it's just the transformer is inside and people are afraid to open it up. to wirethe cig lighter adapterdirectly, open it up, and wire it directly at the start of the circuit (before the regulater), if you need help, open it up and take pics and i'll help you.
And to all the others who are missinformed, please know what your talking about before you say s**t about other peoples posts. I find an inverter a big waste of space, with the lighter adapter, you lose the inverter & the PS2 transformer box, and its cheaper, etc......

and if your still not confortable opening it, go buy a 3$-4$ lighter socket at walmart, it has the two wires sticking out so you can wire the socket and plug in the cig adapter, wich can be hidden anywhere. something like this....http://www.powerwerx.com/product.asp?ProdID=28179...but they have cheap ones at walmart.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:23 PM
HCF Member

hey man thanks for that link. thats what id rather do that way it wont be as much of a hastle. ill post up pics when im done! thanks again.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:47 PM
HCF Member

Smite me for digging up an older post... but...
How did it go? I am planning on doing the same as soon as my Kenwood 7017 In-dash headunit arrives.
I am still not too sure what to do as for wiring here... I have a Ps2 Slim as well, and from what I gather I need to get an adapter from 12V to 8.5 and dis-assemble thePs2, and wire the converter directly to where the plug is wired to the circuit board?

Thanks..

Old 02-10-2008, 05:04 PM
HCF Member

Yea man, Did you finish it yet??
let's see some pictures!!

Quick Reply: making my ps2 work...