Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

making my ps2 work...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 09:34 AM
HCF Member
Default making my ps2 work...

im not real sure as what to do or get in order to make my ps2 work in my car. i heard that i can use a cigarette plug (not inverter) like this - http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Co.../dp/B0007PHO8Y but then again, i heard that i have to buy a power inverter that i hook into my cigarette lighter and then i just plug the ps2 in. so, what do i need to get? its a slim ps2.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Snail'n Admin
Default RE: making my ps2 work...

power inverters are the only thing ive seen used and heard of working

Old 01-11-2008, 02:15 PM
HCF Member

Same
without a power inverter you just can't do it
playstation requires 120 volts, so by use of 12 volts will just plain never cut it

Old 01-11-2008, 02:22 PM
HCF Member

also your civic reminds me of my friend's civic

Old 01-12-2008, 03:28 AM
HCF Member

Hrm... I don't see why that wouldn't work... The PS2 (like a computer, laptop, etc) converts your 120V A/C to D/C - not sure what the voltage draw is but probably 12 or 15V. Assuming this part regulates the voltage (you don't get the most consistent power from a car due to load, altenator, etc), I see no reason why this would not work.

Even better, if it did work you could probably take it apart, wire it to a relay and hook it straight to a power supply in your car for a stealth installation.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:54 AM
HCF Member

oh well i guess ill just buy a power inverter....probably this one unless somebody has something better? http://www.nextag.com/Intec-Car-Powe...32/prices-html

Old 01-12-2008, 09:05 AM

If you get it, you should write a DIY... that would be pretty good.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:01 AM
HCF Member

Seems like such a waste to convert DC to AC then back to DC...

Whatever works, I suppose.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:26 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: PirateX

are you an electrican? or have knowledge on electricty?

the reason why it requires 120 is because exactly that. it requires 120VAC to work. you can't just throw 12-15VDC on it and expect it to work perfect. there are devices inside it that need 120, like the fan and most likely the hard drive, or the cd rom. take alook at all the 120V it needs. Click here noob.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:12 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Method

ORIGINAL: PirateX

are you an electrican? or have knowledge on electricty?

the reason why it requires 120 is because exactly that. it requires 120VAC to work. you can't just throw 12-15VDC on it and expect it to work perfect. there are devices inside it that need 120, like the fan and most likely the hard drive, or the cd rom. take alook at all the 120V it needs. Click here noob.
Sorry, perhaps it would have been beneficial if you did your research BEFORE jumping the gun. One would think by your post that you are some sort of PS2 engineer and thus were insulted that I would dare to suggest that a PS2 (for all intents and purposes "a computer") runs on DC and not AC.

Look above - he said it was a SLIM PS2. A SLIM PS2 has an AC adaptor EXTERNAL to the machine.

Please refer to the following diagram:

120V AC in, 8.5V DC out. Believe me that there is NO 120V AC passed to the unit. Unless you need to run a ceiling fan to cool it?

You dig?

<edit>

Something didn't sit right with that wiring diagram you sent... Didn't make sense that a PS2 would use a 120VAC fan... So I had a look at the link you sent me (y'know, the one where you called me a noob?). Please refer to the website that it came from: http://outbackpower.com/wiringdiag.htm. It would certainly appear (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that you sent me a wiring diagram for a company that makes power supplies:

"OutBack Power Systems, Inc. is a global designer and manufacturer of cutting edge power conversion solutions that provide reliable electric power for the renewable energy, mobile and backup power markets"

And to answer your original question, no - I am not an electrical engineer. Clearly neither are you.

Google > you

</edit>

Quick Reply: making my ps2 work...