Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

LED Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: LED Install

well not in series.... in parrellel.... all positives together and all negatives together...

if you wire them in series then the leds wont be as bright at all.....

just run some speaker wire where ya want the leds and just leave about a inch of extra wire and just cut and crimp the led wires to them... power and ground....
preaty simple and laid back...

Old 04-26-2007, 10:41 PM

i just ordered two 4.7 inch blue flex strips from oznium.com.... but i just realized. is blue even legal to have. i dont want to get in trouble because i had some blue lights in my car.

EDIT: Just kidding. ignore this post i allready found the answer

Old 04-27-2007, 12:07 AM
HCF Member

What size LED'S do you guys use for the air vents and drink holders... I noticed Oznium has a few different sizes?Is the smallest going to be enough?

Old 04-27-2007, 10:02 AM

well im gonna go for the 3mm just because i only want a faint blue glow.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well the 3mms are just slightly dimmer than the 5mms... but i like the 3mms beter myself... just cause they are smaller and just need a small hole
thats what i just used on my cup holder project

Old 04-28-2007, 05:47 AM

Hehe, I am a new found expert on this subject, as I just spent 2 days installing LEDs in various orifices through my civic, includint the under dash, under seat, and AC vents and speaker grills. And I know from experience that...
1. I found the best way to do it is to draw your power from the back of the cigarette lighter. Just cut and strip and connect up, in parallel, with your switch and the LEDs, preresistored in parallel from there. That way, it is already fused, and if it does blow, it doesnt really matter (Unless you REALLY need a smoke and you got no ligher or matches)
2. Do your homework into switches if you are using the ones with the LEDs in them. They can be very decieving.
3. One LED is not bright enough to light up a grill, or a vent very well for that matter. You will want about 3 to get any decent light out of a small vent. Personally, Im going to use cold cathode.
4. One thing I did that is very useful is to hardwire one of those 4 way cigarette ligher splitters into the back of the dash, so its out of sight, and you can run 4 of those LED strips off one switch, and chop and change and add them with ease. I wired a splitter with a switch, and I wired 2 LED strips for the front underdash together into one cigarette ligher adapter, 2 for the rears, and one for the centre console, leaving one spare for when I want to add something else.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member

pics???????

Old 04-28-2007, 11:07 PM

y not just wire them to the fuse box?

Old 04-29-2007, 04:38 AM

You know, ive never really understood what is meant by that, wire them into the fuse box. Ive asked a million times and no one seams to be able to tell me exactly what to do. I just source my power from my cigarette ligher. Keep buggin me cause im pretty busy for the next few days but whenI get some time off, I'll head up to the car park and go nuts with the camera. Ill get lots of pics for you. And Ive got a new amp and a half dozen cold cathodes on the way that Im intending to do a how to write up on. But I go on leave in a week for 2 weeks so it wont be getting done for a month or so. Ill keep ya posted.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:15 AM
HCF Member

hey guys I installed my LED's yesterday and i'm wondering if i even need to run a fuse from the switch to the power source because i used my amp as my power source which already runs a fuse to the battery...i'll get some pics up of it maybe tomorrow or the next day...let me know ifi still need a fuse though....thanks

Quick Reply: LED Install