Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

LED Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 03:33 PM
HCF Member
Default LED Install

I'm probably gonna install some blue led's in my interior in a couple days and i'm curious about wiring for the leds...i have a switch that i'm going to run them to...what is the best way to hook them all up? and what type of wire do i need to run from the switch to the power source? any general help on led installls would be great!

Old 04-24-2007, 06:16 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: LED Install

i ran mine from the fuse box ( the one from the fuse box being the hot one ), grounded another one and ran them. --and then just run the wires from the led's. and hook them all up.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:40 PM
HCF Member

are you going to install LED or neons because if you are going to install leds your gona have to a resistor with that single led or you can wire up 3 or 4 in series and apply a power switch and ground. for example

switch LEDs
battery + ------<>----------^-^-^--------__ground

that should work perfect because thatsw how i wired mines up under my seat

Old 04-25-2007, 04:33 PM
HCF Member

yeah i'm using a switch man, i just needed some help with how to wire them...i don't know where to start really....like i ordered all these LEDs from Oznium and i'm wondering how to even being wiring them in series...how'd you do yours?

Old 04-25-2007, 05:26 PM

to wire them in series from the switch wire you hook it up to positive side of the led and then the negative to the positive of the next led and so on until you get to the last led where you ground the last wire....

Old 04-25-2007, 05:39 PM

Make sure to put a fuse between the battery or where ever you get power and the switch...... car fires are no fun.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:51 PM
HCF Member

hey thanks for the help guys...what type of fuse should i run between the battery and leds?

Old 04-25-2007, 08:46 PM

if you are running just a few led's nothing more than ten should be needed..... led's don't draw alot of power so the fuse wouldn't need to be super high, more of fire protection.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

id say only like a 2.5amp fuse for just a few leds.... if it blows replace it with a 5amp... but i doubt it!
i got a 30amp fuse on my underbody kit... which is some cold cathodes and two 6foot led flexstrips

tho for the leds i sugest having a resistor for each led..... will give ya the brightest light and will keep a row of leds from burnen up.LOL

tho it always depends on how MANY leds your doing....... but i always sugest thier prewired leds... very simple and easy to use! no solder skills needed.. and awhole lot quicker and even safer... cause thier prewired already have two layers of shrink wrap on them.. one around the resistor/power wire and the other over it on the ground wire....
and if you plan on soldering a bunch of leds... well it will be a HUGE PITA quicker than you can solder 5leds and resistors!
i know... i did the gauges of my truck in green leds in the stock bulb locations and half way thru i was REALY TIRED OF SOLDERING wires and prongs together... as well as finding out WHICH WAY the led had to be hooked up.. cause they are VERY polarity sensive... the power side HAS to have power and the ground has to have ground... or they wont work!

needless to say i had to unsolder half of my leds cause i soldered them in backwards

and also... if your going for some leds under a object like a seat... hell just go for some led flex strips

Old 04-26-2007, 05:13 PM
HCF Member

thanks for the in-depth response bro...i ordered the led's already prewired and everything from Oznium so i'm not going to be doing any soldering...soldering can be a bit of a biyaatch...i've done it in the past, specially with something soo small...i'm just planning to use the 10 i got for under the foot areas of the passenger and driver areas...i don't think i'm gonna do under the seats, although i'll have to see i want it or not...

if i'm running the led's in series, which route should i be taking while wiring them...My switch is going to be right beside my e-brake and arm rest area...so i guess i'll have to go under the center console area and do the driver side first and the loop around and do the passenger side to get through the firewall to the battery...any other ideas or comments?

Quick Reply: LED Install