Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

iPod install! (check out my dashboard)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 09:38 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: iPod install! (check out my dashboard)

Alpine or Pioneer are both good brands with iPod adapters available for their units.

And, we only missed that ground wire because it was red and had no idea what it was.

Old 11-25-2005, 01:56 AM
HCF Member

Good job on the wiring! I had to break down and go to best buy when my h/u got ripped out...turns out ALL of the wires were the same color...black! The previous owner had spliced in the same color to the radio harness for some unknown reason. I'll get you some pics of what it's supposed to look like prolly later today, and of how I've got my iPod AUX'ed up. I know how you feel about your console!!! Had mine looking like this for two weeks til I got a replacement (luckily the rest of the car was already torn up):

BTW, why do people think the FM transmitter has to be close to the h/u? Doesn't it make more sense to clip it onto the sunvisor somehow, closer to the antenna, or am I missing something?

Old 11-25-2005, 01:59 AM
HCF Member

damm.

i'm glad my 06 EX coupe already has an aux input. lol.

all i had to do was buy a $4 radio shack cable and hook it up to my nano. phew.

Old 11-25-2005, 02:04 AM

I didnt think about putting it closer to the antenna...my civ has the lil space above the h/u and i put it there. But The plan is to get stereo stuff from my dad for xmas and that includes a new deck, smaller than the stock one, and mounting my vtec controller there. Hopefully Ill get an aux input right away but if not, ill try puttin it on the visor. I dunno tho, my iPods kinda heavy..

Old 11-25-2005, 02:13 AM
HCF Member

Red, I'd go with the AUX. You'll be able to keep your visor clear, save your iPod battery, and it'll sound clearer. Plus it'll be more powerful. I don't know how you would do it, but I have a jumper wire to make the AUX/headphone wire longer so I can put my iPod on my pax seat while I drive. That way I can mess with the song choices or whatever. Plus if you turn up your h/u (assuming you don't listen to the radio that often) you'll be able to control the volume better, faster, and that's how you don't waste all your battery putting the iPod up full blast. There's really no need to touch the h/u if you're listening to the iPod, why not have it in your lap?

Old 11-25-2005, 01:12 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: skytanker2003

BTW, why do people think the FM transmitter has to be close to the h/u? Doesn't it make more sense to clip it onto the sunvisor somehow, closer to the antenna, or am I missing something?
The power cord doesn't reach that far, my iPod is really heavy (it's an older 20gb), and the clip is broken on the case. So that wouldn't work. But you are right. I was in a rental car over the summer and I found the Fm transmitter worked best when I had my brother hold the iPod up to the roof of the car right under the antenna. His arm got tired quick though

Old 11-25-2005, 04:26 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, I figured I'd go all out with the 60Gb! I've filled about 10Gb of it and I just bought it a few weeks ago. I love napster! But the battery lasts a while if you fully charge it before getting in the car. I just use the car charger as a backup if I forget to charge it prior to driving off (battery lasts something like 18 hours on low volume for mine!!!)