Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

iPod install! (check out my dashboard)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 07:23 PM
Default RE: iPod install! (check out my dashboard)

no, my setup the h/u does not control the ipod. I attempted to use my friends h/u control thing, and it was so slow i wanted to rip it out of the dash.

Old 10-23-2005, 09:14 PM
HCF Member

My bad. I thought you had that pioneer thing.

Old 10-23-2005, 09:19 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: CXsleeper

How is the FM transmitter I was thining about getting one but just didnt want to plop the money down for it??
Total piece of crap, I hated using that thing. You had to find a radio station that is not in use, depending where you are that could be impossible. It said it had a 15 foot range but it never worked from more that 18" away from the head unit. Had to turn the volume down a lot to keep the levels from clipping, and there was a ton of signal loss in the high frequency range. blah blah blah.

About the rat's nest... I know. It's bad. But I don't want to mess with it if I don't have to. Seriously I have no idea what all that stuff is, there's parts of the alarm, side marker lights, fog lights, audio stuff, the remnants of a remote starter, um, maybe some other things. Adam said we "figured out" what one of the relays was for, that's because it broke when we put it all back together.

Old 10-23-2005, 09:58 PM
HCF Member

Meh, its not that much of a rats nest. Ever dug into the dash of a BMW? Talk about miles of wiring. Ive got a built in AUX input in the back of my unit

Old 10-26-2005, 09:26 PM

i have an alpine head unit and i got the kca-4201i ipod interphase, and its soo nice. Sound quality is amazing and all your controls are on the actually cd player. I ran the wire for the ipod into the center storage box thing, so that way the ipod is not visible from outside the car. I relize u can just take the ipod outwhen u exit the car, but its nice to know if you forget there is a little extra coverage

Old 11-17-2005, 11:07 PM

I want to get the aux input adapter. My bf has the aux in his truck (but his came with it) and his iPod sounds soo much more clear than mine. (i have the iTrip FM transmitter). Its such a pain to find stations while ur tryin to drive. Was it hard to install the adapter?

Old 11-18-2005, 10:57 AM

Took me all of about 10 minutes to do it, and that was 8 minutes to take off and replace the dash

Old 11-18-2005, 11:04 AM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 2000 LoW reD Si

I want to get the aux input adapter. My bf has the aux in his truck (but his came with it) and his iPod sounds soo much more clear than mine. (i have the iTrip FM transmitter). Its such a pain to find stations while ur tryin to drive. Was it hard to install the adapter?
It was pretty easy, the hardest part was not screwing up anything else while it was all torn apart
Do you have a Sony head unit too? or something else?

by the way, to update my post above... we DIDN'T break any relays, they just stopped working because we missed a ground wire when we were putting it back, and it's all good now.

Old 11-18-2005, 06:52 PM

Right now I have the stock head unit. I asked my dad to get me all new stereo stuff for my car for xmas, so hopefully it will be coming soon. This might sound like a REALLY dumb question haha...but do I need to buy the same brand aux adapter, as the head unit I have?

Old 11-18-2005, 07:17 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 2000 LoW reD Si
do I need to buy the same brand aux adapter, as the head unit I have?
Yeah, you would, the one I have wouldn't work for yours. If I were you I would wait until Christmas and pick out a head unit with a dedicated aux input, OR one that you can use to control the iPod right from the head unit. I don't know what to recommend but I'm sure someone will be along with suggestions soon...

Quick Reply: iPod install! (check out my dashboard)