Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Installing headunit in lower console

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Default Installing headunit in lower console

I'm thinking of installing a headunit in the lower console where the stock CD player would be on my 96 LX. I live in a break-in prone area and want to leave the stock AM/FM unit in place for appearances. Does anyone know if this is a standard VIN opening? do I have to modify it, or buy a trim kit?? I'd like to be able to return it to stock at a later time and want the cup holder cover to stay, to provide extra security at night. [8D]

Any suggestions about wiring issues would be nice. I'm thinking of leaving power and memory wires hooked to stock unit for the clock and routing the speaker wires to the new one. Any thoughts?

Old 01-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Default RE: Installing headunit in lower console

On the wiring all you'd need to purchase is a standard wiring kit adaptor and then have to hit up honda for an OE deck plug wiring harness. Since you're wanting to keep the oe deck wired up you're going have to extend the wires either from the harness adaptor to the new deck or from the harness adaptor to the OE deck adaptor..... either way it's pretty simple to pull the wires down as well as the antenna wire. On the mounting, on mine I hit up ebay and purchased a new unit (because mine just had the cup holder and a hole) and it had the opening for either the cd or tape player unit. Then all I had to do was screw in the deck into the metal brackets and ta dah.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:43 PM

What did you search for on Ebay? I used "civic console 96" and didnt find any with the radio opening(I have an automatic).

Old 01-24-2007, 12:18 AM

HERE is exactly like what I purchased. Basicly any of the cup holder assemblies that have the cd/tape/pocket piece and bracket assembly will do (note, on the 99-00's they have a larger pocket assembly and have to be swapped for the 96-98 version to mount the deck). The factory pocket is held in by screws and can be removed so if you already have the factory pocket it's best to use that or least try to use it first.