Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Installed a cheap navi system that works well

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:42 AM
Lightbulb Installed a cheap navi system that works well

Just FYI to those out there looking for a super cheap touch screen navi/DVD/MP3 solution, I bought a VRVD640G (by a brand called VR-3) from WalMart the other day and it was only $200 on clearance. Sure, it's only got a 4" color touch screen and no direct iPod controls (only the standard headphone jack input), but for $200, you get a decent navi system (no calling out names of streets though), DVD player, USB input (for a thumb drive of goodies) and an SD card slot (for the same purpose). It was really easy to install (no "brain" unit to put elsewhere; everything is confined to the one head unit), but the face plate itself is a little big (it does house a 4" touch screen, lol).

Like I said, it's not a perfect solution, but I couldn't pass up all those features for $200. Trust me, I know a decent head unit too; I have a Pioneer Z2 unit, which was their flagship model like two years ago, in my other car and I don't think this one is all that bad.

Anyhow, I just thought I'd let everyone know that it made me happy that I now have nav/DVD/MP3 ability in my little 90 hatchback and that it only cost me 200 bones. I'll be happy to answer any questions if anyone needs to know something about the unit.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:40 AM
HCF Member

now lets see how long it last.

got any pics of the unit?

Old 08-31-2010, 11:46 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by sfazngiants
now lets see how long it last.

got any pics of the unit?
lol, yeah, I'm hoping it lasts a long time.

Here is a pic of it. I have a USB thumb drive plugged into the bottom right corner of the face and I've tilted the screen up a little bit.

The last thing I haven't done (and hopefully will have time tonight to do it) is to mount the 3.5mm headphone jack under the cigarette lighter. It came with this cool little metal mounting plate so that you can have the "av in" port and put it where ever you like. I figure that under the cig lighter would be a good place for it to be out of the way.

Attached Thumbnails Installed a cheap navi system that works well-new-stereo.jpg  
Old 08-31-2010, 01:31 PM

For some reason, I thought this was a double DIN headunit, not a single. That is pretty cool as something affordable and compact.

However, I couldn't live without my ipod in the car, nor with the amount of ways I can adjust the music etc with my Pioneer AVIC.

Lemme ask you, when driving somewhere, and playing music, does the headunit cut the music off, tell you which way to turn/where to go, and then continue playing the music? I understand it doesn't say the street names and all that, but IMO, that is overkill and it distracts me since half the time they are pronounced incorrectly.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
For some reason, I thought this was a double DIN headunit, not a single. That is pretty cool as something affordable and compact.

However, I couldn't live without my ipod in the car, nor with the amount of ways I can adjust the music etc with my Pioneer AVIC.

Lemme ask you, when driving somewhere, and playing music, does the headunit cut the music off, tell you which way to turn/where to go, and then continue playing the music? I understand it doesn't say the street names and all that, but IMO, that is overkill and it distracts me since half the time they are pronounced incorrectly.
Yeah, it is pretty cool that its a single DIN that has the screen hang over the bottom a little bit. It doesn't get in the way of anything, so it's cool. It just makes for a huge face plate to carry around, lol. Although, considering it replaced a old school pull out, I think this is the better alternative, lol. I was thinking about putting my AVIC-Z2 unit in here, but as you can see, converting this to a double DIN system would be a bitch.

I know what you mean about the iPod, but the one thing that I usually hate about iPod implementation through a head unit is that it's usually slow to browse through the content since it has to be fed data from the iPod. The thing I like about having the USB slot is that it reads the content really fast, so browsing is quick and switching out music on the thumb drive is a snap when I throw it into my computer. I'm sure some head units read iPod data faster than others (maybe they cache it or something), but I don't really miss not having my iPod connected to the system that much.

lol, yeah, I hate it when I get to a street that has a funky name and the text to speech pronounces it like crap too. But you asked if the music lowers when the Navi stuff is annouced and the answer is yes. If the music is playing, it'll lower and say something like, "Turn left in a quarter mile", etc.