Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Identifying factory vs dealer installed keyless entry?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 01:00 AM
Default Identifying factory vs dealer installed keyless entry?

I have a question about how to identify whether my car ( 98 Civic HX ) hasa factory or dealer installed keyless entry system, or neither. I bought the car usedand it came with 1 key and no remotes. I have searched a bit on this subject andhave found programming instructions, but what I haven't found is how to determine if the car will even accept a remote. It does have factory power locks, and there is also the valet/disarm button on the OEM radio between the AM-FM and CD-TAPE buttons, but I'm not sure if that indicates that it will accept a remote or not. (I found some seemingly contradictory info in some of the posts I read) In addition, there's also what appears to be a LED in the radio face as well, but I've never seen it light up. Ihaven't boughta remote asyet (because I don't want to buy one if the car can't accept it), so I'm reluctant to push the valet/disarmbuttonjust to see if the locks will cycle for fear that without a remote I may somehow put the car into a locked-out condition where it may not start.

I realize, from some of the posts I've found, that this topichasbeen discussed at some length, but I haven't been able to find a post that describes how to identify which system the vehicle may have, or if it doesn't have the capability to accept a remote at all.FWIW, the car is bone stock, top to bottom and front to back,and has noaftermarket stereo or alarm components.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Sorry if my first post is asking about something that is "common knowledge" among Civic buffs, but I honestly did make a serious effort to search first. I just haven't found what I'm looking for and may need to be steered in the right direction. Thanks again.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Default RE: Identifying factory vs dealer installed keyless entry?

All of the HX and the LX models have the receiver built into the factory radio. There is nothing to install into vehicle. Simply program the remotes to your Civic by turning the ignition on and off and pressing the lock/unlock buttons.