Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

i got a question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:21 AM
Default i got a question

if i make a speaker box for the front speakers will i get better sound since the sound wont go into the door? i know there are plastic ones but i have the meterial for fiberglass ones

Old 04-02-2008, 08:09 AM
Default RE: i got a question

Generally, the more speakers the better. I'm afarid I'm not following exactly what you mean though.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:13 AM
HCF Member

He wants to make an enclousure for the front speakers.
Much like you would for subwoofers.
Where exactly are you planning on putting them?
In the doors themselves??

Old 04-02-2008, 08:17 AM

The front speakers are already enclosed. They are embedded in the doors. Do you meanadditional speakers?

Old 04-02-2008, 08:45 AM
HCF Member

Unfortunately this is almost impossible to tell
Your car would have to be first examined to see if indeed the sound eminating from the back of the speaker is affecting + or - the sound coming out the other end.
Not to mention angles, size of the box etc
unfortunately the baffle room for regular speakers is huge, often a square foot or more for a REGULAR speaker, which is why in the doors, they use the whole inside of the door as a baffle, although it does vary b/w speakers...i think JLs go as low as .5. But otherwise, it's far too complicated to go into, and I'm sure it's not affecting the sound in your civic anyway, so my advice, leave it be

Old 04-02-2008, 01:27 PM
HCF Member

They do have speaker baffle's you can order( Boom Mat is good) But enclosing the speaker, making it seperate from the door air sapce is not a wise idea.

It is wise, however to sound deaden your doors, and seal them up with some lexan, sheet metal, etc. then sound deaden over them.
Same basic idea, except you are using the whole door as an enclosure, for even stock speakers I saw a HUGE difference.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:42 PM
HCF Member

Those little 6.5" (or smaller) speakers in your front door don't need to be enclosed unless you're serious about squeezing out that little extra bit of mid-bass lost into that "vast" airspace created by the interior of the door. This will not affect the high-frequency response of your speakers (they'll behave as though they were in an infinite baffle system), but there is some significant loss to frequencies below 120 Hz or so.

I experimented with this myself. I mounted cylindrical enclosures into the doors. They mount right into the round spot where the speakers are mounted, and jut out of the door. I constructed these cylinders by stacking a series of 3/4 MDF rings. Stack as many as you want... Of course, the enclosure is entirely sealed, and yes - it makes an audible difference to your mid-bass response - but nothing spectacular.

Practically speaking, don't bother with it unless you have really high quality speakers (MB Quart or something) which are worthy of running below 150 Hz. Most people just use their xover to cut off these frequencies from the front, which is fine.

I can attest that the extra mid-bass achieved by my cylinder system wasn't worth the work. Hope that's good enough for you.

It's too cold outside right now for me to go take pictures, and I'm lazy. I'll take pics when you ask me to, I guess. They do look cool, even if they don't contribute to the sound very much. I even put carpet and grills on them

In other news, I need to speak to you on aim about other business. I'll be online about 6PM - 9PM your time, Monday night. Hope to speak to you then.