Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

HID's help

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 06:02 PM
HCF Member
Default HID's help

Ok I know you guys have talked about some HID related topics somewhere, but I ran a search and didn't find much at all, so for the sake of making a good thread to review, can someone give some info on a basic HID conversion?

I have heard alot of do's and don'ts, some people like projectors some like stock, and so on. I really want to know for one, what projectors are best for an HID setup. Most of them say not to use HID, but I assume if you can get your beam pretty low and not blind everyone they are acceptable?

My halo's have a bit of a break in the beam, it's more of a triangle shape then a flat cut line, which I remember seeing from someone's post a few months back. If I end up going projector, which I would like to, I may have to upgrade my heads, to get that flat cut beam that the real quality HID setups reveal.

I will post a paint image of what I look at when I drive.

I will keep researching the forums for old threads, but if anyone has some suggestive info I would appreciate it. HID's are on my buy list, and I want to get some ideas of what kind of investment I am going to be looking at.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:12 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: HID's help

Yay, ok here's a rough sketch of what my heads look like projected. It's very strange, I can't really understand it.

I have fiddled, adjusted, and done everything known to man. When I got them, they were perfectly overlapped, as seen in figure 2, the figure 1 is how I have them running now, split up, they each have a little unique pattern, but I want a straight flat line if I run HID's.

Anyone got a suggestion?

Old 03-15-2007, 09:07 PM
HCF Member

if u really want to know stuff about hid's and learn, go to www.hidplanet.com hopefully that will help you.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:50 PM
HCF Member

Stu, I've got that exact same problem with mine. I'm guessing the post you saw was mine, and its interesting because it seems that that "Z cutoff pattern" (What they're calling it now) is the new HID trend. I was detailing one of the new BMW Z4's and it had it as well, only it was aligned much better. In the earlier stock HID projectors, it seemed that it was more of that flat line beam. I've always kind of been bugged by the fact that it's not possible to adjust the beam side to side to get that focus point aligned perfectly.

As far as the best projector for HID, I've only used my Anzo projectors, but from what your describing, they both have very similar light patterns. Heat shouldn't be any issue simply because HID's burn at a cooler temperature than halogen. I'd say that its very safe to say that you'd be more than fine putting and HID kit into your current setup. You'll wonder how you ever lived with halogen before!! The only thing that bugged me was the extreme difference in color between the low and high beams(I'm running 6000k, so they're a bit blue). I actually am expecting relays to wire it so that my low beams stay on while the highs are on to try to combat this: https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_170135/tm.htm

Let me know if you have any more questions! TheMoogly and EJ1Rider are also running HIDs with their projectors, so hopefully they'll chime in if I missed anything!

Old 03-16-2007, 09:27 AM
HCF Member

Sweet, it's good to know it's not just me experiencing that cut off factor. I will just work to get them dead on again like they were when I purchased them, so theres only 1 peak in the very center. I can live with that.

I am probably going to buy the Oznium kit whenever I get around to it, I just wanted to make certain that it would work out. Since my bulbs are H1, I guess I will need to purchase an H1 setup, hopefully they will fit perfectly.

My kit has 2 bulbs though, 1 for low, 1 for high. I wonder if I will need an HID bulb in each slot, 4 total, or just leave halogens in my brights. I noticed you mentioned something about that. Are you running your bright/lows off the same HID bulb?

Old 03-16-2007, 09:50 AM
HCF Member

I've got the Oznium kit as well and have been very happy with it.

I've got my HIDs in the low beams, and my halogens still in the highs. The link in my last post has a diagram and parts needed to wire it so that the low's stay on even when the highs are on. As nice as it would be to have all 4 as HID, I don't think it would be as practical because of the initial warmup of the bulbs if they haven't been on for a bit. After I wire it up, I'll let you know it looks with both on...hopefully it'll be better. Oh, also, a lot of the time, people don't use their high beams anymore with their HIDs...I started with that approach but I live in an area with a lot of deer, so I still find a need to use them occasionally (even though my low's are a little higher then they should be already )

Old 03-16-2007, 10:13 AM
HCF Member

I have HID's in my stock housings, i never get flashed by anyone and other then the fact i don't have high beams (which i plan on getting BiXenon's anyway) they are great. But i do agree with the peolpe that a Retrofit is the best( taking a hid kit out of a car designed for HID and altering it's beam to fit into your housing) But if you don't have the money fo a retrofit then i say just get teh HID for your headlights. you can find a conversion for it, and there is a group buy on right now in the vendor group buy. it is from leenix

Old 03-16-2007, 11:52 AM
HCF Member

I might just try for the conversion that leaves both on when your brights are activated.

I am gonna try for a 10000k setup, slightly purple, slightly blue. I saw a 12000 the other day, that puppy was purple as hell. It looked good comming at you, but his beams were way off, blinding everyone.

I really look at most factory halogens and get blinded half the time, and it looks like mine are too low almost, I raised them up a little the other day, now you can see them on signs and what not. Before I couldn't even see signs glow up ahead of me, lol.

I am fairly happy with these lights, but one is showing some leakage, so I guess I will reseal them tonight, and re-focus those babies a little.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:50 PM
HCF Member

Yeah I've got the 6000k, but they're even a little blue for me...I can't imagine how blue/purple those are gonna be. Keep in mind, that it draws alot more attention from cops when they stand out that much!

Old 03-16-2007, 12:53 PM
HCF Member

Stu dont go for higher than 8k... the color looks good but you will be essentially driving blind... Imagine the road at night looking this blue... these are 8k's compared to 6k...

No joke, I HATED 8k... they were horrible.

Quick Reply: HID's help