Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Help with Sub and Amp

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 05:50 PM
HCF Member
Default Help with Sub and Amp

Hey everyone i'm a junior in high school and i just got my first car.. a 99 civic ex.. i've decided for my first project on my car to be to get an amp and sub. Right now my set-up is.. Sony Xplod CDX-MP70 Head Unit, 2 Memphis 6x9's and 2 more Memphis 6 1/2's.. there is a tweeter in each of my doors, but they aren't hooked up. I like my set up a lot but it doesn't get any bass, and for that reason i want a sub... and i'm told that inorder to run a sub you need the amp to power it.. which makes sense... i'm not asking for any DIY's or How-to's.. i'm just curious what everyone thinks i should get...

I'm looking to spend around 300 dollars total and i'm not looking for some huge setup just something that'll give my car a little more umph

Old 02-07-2008, 05:58 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Help with Sub and Amp

Well, are you looking for: bass or sound quality?

Old 02-07-2008, 06:03 PM
HCF Member

Check this out.
It was on page 2 of the Audio/Visual Electronics section.
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_540822/tm.htm
Might of come up on a search too.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:15 PM

You could get an Alpine type-r and amp for around 300ish from www.sonicelectronics.com.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:29 PM
HCF Member

i'm looking more for bass.. the rest of my set up gets a good sound out there. i just read the article you linked macbeth and it was helpful.. but i still have one question i dont think was answered... i understand the sensitivity, ohms, db's, and RMS.. but does physical SIZE (in diameter) really matter?? Here's a sub i was looking at... http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=14952

So if i got this right and i buy that sub.. i need an amp that is 2 ohms or less, and has an RMS around 400?? Is that all i need to look for?

Old 02-11-2008, 08:47 PM
HCF Member

The sub you have chosen will hook up to a mono amp with an ohm load of 2. Thats what you want.

That means look for a Mono amp that pushes at least 300-500 watts RMS power, not peak. It might say 800 peak, but RMS is all that matters. The Type R wants 500, but I think you could get away with 400 RMS to save money.

Here's a diagram to show you the wire up:

http://www.crutchfield.com/learningc...4%2Dohm%5Fmono

Oh, and save some cash by ordering from Sonic. They have a good warranty and are easy to get if you need customer service.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+-TYPE+R-.html

As for size. A 10 has always been my choice. 1 10 in a nice sealed box for deep crisp bass, or a slightly larger ported box for head thumping not so controlled bass. I tell people ported suits mainly rock and metal, and pop music, where as sealed would be perfectly suited for rap and R&B. Thats my personal opinion however.

And if you want to keep it to 1 brand, this would be a nice amp for that sub. Slightly more power then it requires, plus flexibility to add a 2nd sub later and still deliver decent power.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+MRP-M650.html

Notice the RMS power is 600 watts at 2 ohms, which is what your sub will be presenting to the amp if it's hooked up like the diagram above.

This is the same hookup I am planning on making for my wife's vehicle, just as soon as I pay this damn streetbike off. It should give you years of worry free boom boom.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:27 PM
HCF Member

I tell people ported suits mainly rock and metal, and pop music, where as sealed would be perfectly suited for rap and R&B. Thats my personal opinion however.
I think you have it backwards... rock and metal have a lot more repeating beats as to rap where its more stretched out. if you get what i'm saying. a ported box allows your subs to move more air, but more uncontrollable(better for rap music). As a sealed box is better for quality and controllibility, but it's not as loud. It all depends on what you will be listening to.

Some stuff to take into account when putting your system together... make sure you account for your cost of wire-power, ground, rca's, remote, and speaker wire to your sub or subs. Another cost is the wood to make your box, screws, caulk (if it's an enclosed), and some kind of fabric to cover the box. The right tools also help when making your box.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:12 PM
HCF Member

hey guys thanks for all the advice i really appreciate it. Stumasters that diagram really helped, and littlehag thanks for the advice on cost.. i did factor this in and after all's been said and done.. i've decided to get 1 12" alpine SWR 1222D Sub, and a Kenwood AMP.

Sub:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=14955
Amp:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=17789

A local store called The Speed Of Sound told me that they can get me a sealed box for 30 bucks, and a vented box for 60.. I'm going to go with the Sealed, mainly because A. i'm looking more for control and not mind blowing sound B. it's half the price and C. i can always get the Vented box if i dont like the Sealed....

Also, they said for all the wiring it would be 60 bucks and now that i know how to hook it up thanks to Stumasters i'd say i'm set!

Old 02-12-2008, 04:31 PM
HCF Member

It's easy to do. And you can probably find a set of decent wiring for less then 60.

Just do a search on the site and learn some about all the wiring suggestions. Run your wires yourself and save alot. Just remember as always to disconnect your negative battery lead anytime you are working on electrical components, and make sure any grounds are tight, and touching Bare metal, not painted metal.

Good luck!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:41 PM
HCF Member

First mistake I made when installing my own system was running the power wire alongside the rca's. make sure to run your rca's as far away from any power sources as possible, same as your speaker wires. Otherwise they can catch some EMF's and basically it'll sound really high pitched, which you don't want.Other than that you sound like you're golden.

Edit: By the way, I like your choices for a sub and amp. Two very good audio companies.

Quick Reply: Help with Sub and Amp