Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Got some LED's, wondered about wiring.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Got some LED's, wondered about wiring.

well i just have my underbody light switch.. thats all i need for the time being...

Old 02-07-2007, 09:32 PM
HCF Member

i got 4 switches in my center console plus the cig. plug. anyways, actually if i were you i wouldnt even worry about the dimmer switch. that would be alot of work for something like that u wouldnt use that much. just wire them into a switch where u can turn them on/off.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:34 PM
HCF Member

so is everything else just hooked up to your parking lights then???

Old 02-08-2007, 01:19 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: TheMoogly

I am pretty sure addiction2bass will find you and tell you... he is the electrical genius of the forum
What about me Moog? Damn, and here I thought you loved me. LOL

Old 02-08-2007, 07:25 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: n8te81

so is everything else just hooked up to your parking lights then???
not realy... my underbody kit is wired into my fuse box... hot all the time and then hooked up to a switch in my fog light location.
all my other lights that im using is on the cluster and gauge lights..... which those are wired into the factory bulb conections so the dimmers still work fully... i like BRIGHT.... BUT not all the time!

eventualy when i do start doing my other lighting projects most of them are gonna be wired into factory wires anyways... at least with some modifications... like the door pins im gonna wire into them using some diodes and wire em up to some relays to activate the interior lights....
and the trunk lights to the truck ground swith same way....
but if i do the cup holder thing im gonna wire in two switches and just hide them under the drivers seat... that way i can hide them

Old 02-08-2007, 07:32 AM
HCF Member

I already have 2, but pretty soon i'm gonna have4 switches: one for underbody, one for under dash and vent LEDs, one for gauges, and one for halos

Old 02-08-2007, 09:16 PM
HCF Member

awesome idea man! Please keep this thread updated w/ your progress. I think i am going to get my system done then move on to interior mods first, rather than exterior.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:04 AM
HCF Member

thats smart. after all. the visual mods are really for you. you're the one thats gunna see them the most. and you're gunna be inside the car much more often than standin outside lookin at it. so inside out is the way to go.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:46 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: TheMoogly
I am pretty sure addiction2bass will find you and tell you... he is the electrical genius of the forum
Only beacause I'm too busy (being a real life electrical genius)to be on here anymore.

So anyways... wiring LEDs to a dimmer is a bad idea because LEDs want their operating voltage all the time. The way the dimmer works, which is ment for regular bulbs, is it limits the voltage. With an LED what you want to do is limit the current through it. You can do it and it'll work but your LEDs will eventually burn out from not having the required voltage all the time. If you use LEDs correctly they will never burn out.

I'll admit though, I've done a couple complete LED dash conversions and just used the regular dimmer so I guess just do it however.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:48 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: amg6975

I've done a couple complete LED dash conversions and just used the regular dimmer so I guess just do it however.
I always left mine at full brightness, I think mine failed for another reason though

Oops, I hit edit instead of quote.

Quick Reply: Got some LED's, wondered about wiring.