Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

FUSES KEEP GOING.. GRRRR

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Default FUSES KEEP GOING.. GRRRR

Ok ive done a complete boot install as can be seen im my gallery..
Its a 3000w pioneer champion pro sub running off of a 1200w vibe amp.. which I obviously know it will not power the sub to its full volume.

However i bought a 1500w wiring kit and...

its wired through the massive fuse from the battery to the amp.. all earthed fine.. remote to the headunit etc..

stick 2 new 25amp fuses into the amp.. turn it on.. all is well.. sounds awesome..

turn car on.. drive.. within a minute the fuses on the amp blow.

why is this? i payed out big bucks on this stuck and cant get it to work..

please help me

Old 09-18-2007, 12:32 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: FUSES KEEP GOING.. GRRRR

Bad ground sounds like

Old 09-18-2007, 12:34 PM

do you think so? i used a bolt to the rear brake cluster.. scratched away paint too..crimped and bolted on.. hmm should be ok right?

Old 09-18-2007, 12:44 PM
HCF Member

Yeah i dont know much but it does sound like a bad ground or maybee your power line is grounding out by touching something somewhere.

I would check it all out again to be sure.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:45 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: civicduty96

it sounds like your amp is drawing more current then it's suppossed to......make sure your not running to low of an ohm load for your amp.....i know it sounds funny but iv'e seen amps pop fuses when there loaded down lower than there rated for.... for instance iv'e seen a orion xtr 900.2 blow fuses when it was running a 2 ohm load bridged and it's only rated for a 4 ohm load bridged...it would work for about 5- 10 minutes then the fuses would heat up and presto you got blown fuses
damn hes right, at first i though ground, but a buddy of mine had the same problem.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:46 PM
HCF Member

it sounds like your amp is drawing more current then it's suppossed to......make sure your not running to low of an ohm load for your amp.....i know it sounds funny but iv'e seen amps pop fuses when there loaded down lower than there rated for.... for instance iv'e seen a orion xtr 900.2 blow fuses when it was running a 2 ohm load bridged and it's only rated for a 4 ohm load bridged...it would work for about 5- 10 minutes then the fuses would heat up and presto you got blown fuses...

if it was a bad ground you wouldnt be blowing fuses....your cars charging system is like a garden hose...what happens when you get a kink in you hose.....low current... blowing fuses is a result of to much current or a dead short

Old 09-18-2007, 12:54 PM

cheers for that civicduty96 good bit of info.. is there anything i can do/use to make it work properly? short of buying a £600 amp?

Cheers again for help everyone.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:04 PM
HCF Member

if you put bigger fuses in your amp it's probally gonna get pissed off after awhile and go into protect...or the thermal protection will shut it down.....i wouldnt reccomend it....i'm guesing you have a dual voice coil sub...just wire the coils in a series until you get a differnt amp or sub...you'll only get half the power of your amp until then but it's better then not having any any bump or a dead amp

Old 09-18-2007, 01:12 PM

hehe your gonna have to go more in depth than that.. im an audio newbie!
My knowledge of cars goes as far as chosing alloys in a magazine hahahaha!

What exactly do i have to do? and the sub is twin coned.. whatever that is?? lol

Old 09-18-2007, 01:19 PM
HCF Member

your sub has 2 pos terms and 2 negs .....series is positive from coil #1 and neg from coil #2...they go to your amp..then take a piece of wire and jump neg from coil #1 to pos from coil#2..thats it

Quick Reply: FUSES KEEP GOING.. GRRRR