Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

fitting in new 6.5" door speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Default fitting in new 6.5" door speakers

Hey guys!

I am a newbie and dun really know **** bout car audio soo i need some advice. Currently, i own a 1998 EK civic hatch. the car was bought completely stock and came with a crappy tape player. My plan is to upgrade my sound system within the next 2 months.

Currently, I have got a pair of Alpine type-S 6x9's (SPS690A) which i was given for my 18th which i have not installed yet. My plan is to install them with the rest of the system later, because a friend told me that they could blow up because the ohm's or sumthing (i cant remember) were different... is there any risk of installing them now b4 i get my cd/mp3 head unit?

i want to keep my sound system relatively simple, so i only plan to run the speakers off the head deck power. I am tossing between 2 headdeck options atm. Alpine or Pioneer? i know that alpine is superior, but is it worth the extra money, considering i will not be running amps or anything? Will there be a noticable difference in sound quality between alpine and pioneer head decks?

AND... finally.... i plan to buy some 6.5" splits for the doors. I was told by a friend who has the same car, that the mounting depth of the car is really shallow. It is only 2.125". Will i be able to easily fit in alpine type-S 6.5" splits. I am also considering putting in pioneers instead because they have 'shallow' basket speakers which should fit. Which option is best? has anyone installed alpines in there front doors?

thanx dudes... appriciate ur help!

Old 03-10-2005, 09:41 PM
Default RE: fitting in new 6.5" door speakers

hey man, i may be able help alittle, i ran aftermarket speakers offa stock head unit for a while. the only reason you can damge them is by turning bass and treble high and running the radio full blast, when the bass doesnt sound clear is when your getting distrtion. alpine and pioneer are both good decks an have used both. when it comes to superior i dontknow depends on the deck itself. look for stats on your deck and speakers, most can range from 25 watts by 4 channels to 70/4. check the rms handling and output of yourspeakers and deck. just because a speaker says 300WATTS! on the box doesnt mean thats what they are, check detailed descriptions. 300 watts may be peak power which is the total number of watts the speaker can take without blowing something. for instance plugging a 300 watt sub to a 300 watt amp and turning your gain up all the way runs the sub hard and dependability is an issue. all your low end light bass in a song will be hard but harder bass lines in the music could damage the speaker. peak power is deffinatly not the BIG thing to llook for as it is only what the speaker or amp or deck can throw out or take before its limits. look for ex. a 300 watt peak/150 rms speaker and hook up a 250 watt amp and keep the gain about half way, you wont cause too much damage at all and youll still be able to enjoy good music. of course the price of the speaker depends on how its built and what it can take. your best bet, go to crutchfield.com, they got a section on WHAT FITS MY CAR, ad for more technical help, call the information line before you buy nything. they're really cool people and will help with alot. trust me ive been there done that

Old 03-10-2005, 10:35 PM

hey hypnotixcrx!

thanks for the tips, u explained that **** heaps well! i took at look at your website as well, nice ride u have there. I love crx's! i wanted to get a CRX intially, cept my bloody parents wanted me to buy a 5 seater car [:'(]

anyways, i have one more question which u might be able to help me with....

i am currently in Canberra Australia, and i am considering ordering a head deck from the web, except i heard that over there (USA yeah?), u guys have different radio frequencies, so it will not work properly over here in Australia. Do you know if this is the truth? am i being bullsh!tted? is it safe to order online?

ur help would be awesome! thanks man!

Old 03-11-2005, 03:46 AM
HCF Member

If the frequencies are AM or FM they will work. Am being Kilo Hertz and FM being Mega Hertz.

Old 03-11-2005, 09:14 AM
HCF Member

no you wont blow your new speakers with the stock radio. They might distort at high volumes inwhich can ultinatly destroy the driver (in an extreme case). Now if you just wire em up and play yhrme with out constantly hitting peak power youll be fine.

Old 03-22-2005, 10:56 PM

i have a 00 civic and installed 6.5" rockford fosgate's and had to cut away alot of the plastic on the paneling to fit the drivers thru, and a little bit of sheet metal.

Old 03-22-2005, 11:05 PM
HCF Member

yea, the depth in those holes are a bitch... that sheet metal that you cut was part of the structure of the door fyi.

Old 03-22-2005, 11:36 PM
HCF Member

i installed infinity kappas in the doors of my car.......no problem fitting at all.........you wont blow your alpine type R speakers with the stock head unit.....that stock unit wont put enough juice to fry those 6X9s........they have a 50 watt RMS and a 250 peak power. Theres no way your stock unit is goin to blow them up. Definetly run an amp with your car though...ive only got 1 twelve inch infinity kappa perfect.....but the bass is great when u got the windows down and music up! if ur looking for cheap priced high quality auto audio www.etronics.com is great......i use and recommend them.

Old 03-23-2005, 12:08 AM
Cat Fuсker

I would recommend agains anyone cutting the sheetmetal ib the doors to fit the speakers...especially if you enjoy your power windows...trust me on this one, any screwing with that panel and you can say bye-bye to good operation of power windows in the next two-three years...