Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

firewall

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 05:15 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: firewall

There will be a gromet somewhere under there, I fed mine through the extra one that was there for me on my 97, if you have to, its ok to widen one, just make sure you still have a good seal around the gromet to keep rainwater out. Some high temp silicone around the outter seal will help fill any gaps you leave.

I use a coat hanger, and electrical tape my wire to the end, taping from thin gradualy up to the wire thickness, and I run around to the other side and pull it through. It would be easier to look under the dash to see where there is some free room, then go under the hood and try to find the same spot.

If you can get away without drilling, its the best ides. Make sure there isn't any raw metal touching the actual wire, or it will fray over time.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:28 AM
HCF Member

I just did this literally 2 days ago...on a 200 Civic Si, which will be the same for your 99ex. There is a hole about an inch or more in diameter right below the battery and to your right...just pull away the carpet inside under the glove box and the rubber matting, and then just cram the wire throught the hole, it will come out right above and behind the glove box, then just run it uder the carpet to wherever your amp will be. Just make sure and run your patch cords and speaker wire and such on the drivers side.

Id take a pic for you but its dark out

Old 01-31-2007, 09:36 AM
HCF Member

i definately need to use this, i have it run like through my door jam and then under my dash (its totally hiden with the car doors close, but with it open you can see the wire. Maybe i'll deal with that tonight

Old 01-31-2007, 08:04 PM
HCF Member

Whats the big deal about runing the power and rca cables on opposite sides?? My friend who seems like a audio geek did my car today and said it doesnt matter... Is it just so that the rcas dont pick up anything from the power cable?

Old 01-31-2007, 08:28 PM
HCF Member

basicly. Unshielded cables are likely still available, at a low low price, and they will pick up frequencies other then the ones you want.

Good quality shielded cables, most of the time, will be fine running together by your other wiring, but there is probably a 1 in 10 chance that it could pick up some signals and etc. from the power cables.

Most people prefer to run them on seperate sides of the vehicle, but for the most part, this is just to combat for problems they have had in the past, or problems their friends have told them about.

If you have the time to run them on both sides, it will probably be a good idea, but if not, its easy to just do it on one side, and if you have some sound related issues after the install, you will at least have a good idea where to start looking.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya the way i feel with runnen the rcas and power wires together is just... thiers ITS ONLY A PROBLEM..... IF THIERS A PROBLEM

tho since i use some fat @ss 1/0gauge wires i run my wires under the car to the rear and thru the floor

but if ya have the wire ran thru the door jam you realy need to take care of that!!!! at least be sure its fused next to the battery!!!!!! if not your asking for a huge problem!

Old 02-01-2007, 07:40 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

but if ya have the wire ran thru the door jam you realy need to take care of that!!!! at least be sure its fused next to the battery!!!!!! if not your asking for a huge problem!
not sure if your talking to me Addiction, but i definately have mine fused right next to the battery though. Always just been too lazy to just re-run the wire through the firewall

Old 02-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya i was..

definatly take the time and run it right so its hidden and clean looken and also safe.... well you got it fused SO lets say trouble free

Old 02-04-2007, 12:02 PM
HCF Member

Under the battery is my fav hole to go through. Here's a good tip though... DON"T POKE A HOLE IN THE GROMMET! Just unwrap the electrical tap and push your wire through the middle with the other ones like it's suppose to. Then rewrap it up. Looks better and it won't tear your grommet in two pieces leaving your wires rubbing on metal.