Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

firewall

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 10:39 AM
Default firewall

when installing my subs, where should i take the power wire through the firewall? is there a place that honda has already put in there or do i have to get a hole drilled and fit w/ a rubber grommet?

Old 07-20-2006, 11:24 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: firewall

you DONT need to drill a hole, there are already lots of holes, you just need to get down under your steering wheel and look

there is one under your steering wheel that comes out to the side of the brake fluid level, its coved by a black rubber, there is also one (where i run all my wires) under your battery, you need to take your battery out then you will see a huge load of wires going through, there is a rubber boot that you need to make a little hole in then run the power wire though and it comes out on your passenger side, if you look there and move the capet you can see all the wires going through.

if you do cut the boot for the wire, BE CARFULE NOT TO CUT ANY OTHER WIRES GOING THROUGH THE SAME HOLE, this can cause lots of problems if you do, so just use common sence when your getting the rubber, oh ya, and seal the hole up with lots of duck tape afterward to pervent mosture from getting in your car

Old 07-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

Sweet, I need to use that one under the steering wheel to run my boost gauge. It's so ghetto right now[:@]

Old 07-20-2006, 08:11 PM

there actually is a grommet by the bottom corner of the battery, simply run the power wire down the passenger side and you'll need less wire.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:20 PM
Recognized HCF Member

on my 99 EX civic i know of two good gromets to go thru...

the EASIEST to get to is drivers side behind fuse box.... thiers a round insulation piece with 2 fins just pull it off and youll see the back of the gromet.... then just pull out the gromet and cut a hole for your wire and snap it back inplace...
DOWNFALL with using that spot its ITS UGLY under the hood from running wire from battery to inside...

SECOND which is alittle harder BUT hides the wire GREATLY!!!!
pull the battery out and then pull the 3bolts and 2 wire retainer clips and pull the battery bracket out... then youll see a rubber grommet with wires running thru it. BUT before cuting into the rubber get under your dash and check which side the wires are running and stick it out as far as you can away from the wires direction.... for mine the wires went back towards the passenger kick panel so i just went thru the towards driver side of the grommet.
right now i got three wires ran thru it amp power, and radio power and ground... JUST REMEMBER EITHER WAY YOU DO IT CHECK BOTH SIDES THAT YOU CAN SEE AND ALSO "FUSE" properly!!!!!!

my worst downfall so far is the dang speaker wires! now i gotta run all new speaker wires

Old 07-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

We popped the grommet out ont he passenger side, and I can't for the life of me figure out where it comes into the car.

I'm definitely using the driver side one, ugly or not..

Old 07-21-2006, 11:41 AM
HCF Member

i used the one right by the battery ends up almost behind your glove box pull the runbber groumet out make a hole in the middle of it to slide the power cable thru and put the rubber piece back on fast easy and clean

Old 07-21-2006, 01:23 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

Maybe I didnt look hard enough, but from what I can see there is no access point from inside. But, it was dark, very late at night, and I had a lot going all at once, so maybe I just missed it

Old 07-21-2006, 01:44 PM
Recognized HCF Member

its not a empty gromet.... and you HAVE to pull the battery bracket out! not the hold down but the batteries actualy platform it sits on...

it has a bunch of wires going thru it and it more of a straight down part.... just be sure to also clear the power wire from the battery bracket when remounting the tray and such!

i always use a light tester to gab thru the grommet and check inside the car for the spike to come thru THEN you can put a slit in it once your sure nothing will hit it!

another downfall with using the drivers side ugly grommet........ youll need quite a bit more power wire to reach the trunk!!!!!!
i bought a cheap walmart multi amp kit and it was still REALY SHORT and just got past the rear seat

Old 01-30-2007, 04:31 PM
HCF Member

Anyone know some locations on a 04 civic? Or should I try to just widen the groumets or w/o on some of the wiring that i see

Quick Reply: firewall