Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

FAQ: Do I need a Capacitor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 06:00 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: FAQ: Do I need a Capacitor?

i had some cutting out and stuff like that but it was never because of that it was because of a short that i had in my front speaker wiring.My voltage never drops below 12.5 and thats with the car off so i dont really think i have that much to worry about.Ill turn it up all the time and never have any problems and plus i have my gains set so im not really worried about blowing something.I do need to get a bigger alt down the road but like i said i dont even really have any problems right now besides the dimming of the lights and its not even that bad.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:12 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i dont see how ya havent had any prolems... cause my old orion 1200watt amp would give my alt a work out and cut it out if i wasnt driving!

but on a side note....... if your alternator is close to being powerfull enough you could simply replace the alternators pulley and use a overdrive pulley and a slightly shorter belt for the alternator....
if you get a high power alternator i would already advice a overdrive pulley and you should replace the belt while your at it anyways so just buy one alittle shorter... id advice buying a few size belts... that way when ya doing the swap ya got the belts right thier... you can always take back the belts that arent the right size

Old 01-26-2007, 06:33 PM
HCF Member

well i dont know about all that stuff cause my dad is a mechanic and does all that for me...lol.I would see about doing that if it didnt seem like kinda a big job to do if i wasnt switching alts.But yeah i dont really have any probs but then again i dont really play my music when the car is off so i dont really know if i COULD have problems.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:49 PM
HCF Member

i just have to say thank you to IrishDrunk for that explination

it really cleared things up for me.

sorry to kinda hijack the thread...back to normal

Old 01-27-2007, 05:15 PM

Very nice write up. Caps are the biggest scam to hit the car stereo market period.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:51 AM

this should be a sticky

Old 01-28-2007, 09:13 PM
HCF Member

just for the record everyone, before you go out buying high output alts, make sure you read up on the alt your buying. MAKE SURE that it puts out ample power at low rpms, otherwise your getting nothing unless your engine is reved up, whos wants to be like, "oh hey guys, wanna listen to my system?? get in i gotta hit the highway b4 i turn it on" lol
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-29-2007, 04:26 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: theonecalledtodd

just for the record everyone, before you go out buying high output alts, make sure you read up on the alt your buying. MAKE SURE that it puts out ample power at low rpms, otherwise your getting nothing unless your engine is reved up, whos wants to be like, "oh hey guys, wanna listen to my system?? get in i gotta hit the highway b4 i turn it on" lol
[align=left] [/align]
LOL...gotta roll around in 1st for this next song!

The link I provided to Alterstart...those alts, and Load Boss's, the 160 amp alts give you 80amps at idle, which is what the stock puts out at 2000 rpm...so they are good to go. Some of the universal ones that you can buy out of stero shops are really high strung like you are talking about...but why spend 200 bucks more on one of those, when you can get a badass one that drops right in like its stock.