Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Door lock Actuators - install questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 08:12 PM
HCF Member
Default Door lock Actuators - install questions

Anyone but me try to install some auto door lock actuators in your DX or non electronic lock car?

I am running into all kinds of trouble. Number one, the kit came with screws that weren't even half as long as they were supposed to be, lol, 1 trip to Lowes. Then I ran into problems getting them installed on the same plane as the locks, so I got all kinds of funky bends in my pusher rod thing. And I can't for the life of me figure out how the hell to run wiring through that little door to cabin grommet thing, I can get it out of the door, but I can't get anything through it and have no clue where it comes out in the car, I can't see that far up under the dash.

If someone has a DIY floating around somewhere that I don't know about let me know. Otherwise I am going to be writing one, lol.

Thanks!

Old 03-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Door lock Actuators - install questions

well fishing the wires into the car is always the hardest part!!!!!!
easiest way to do it in every car is pull off the rubber boot off the car part from the door and use a coat hanger to try and fish it thru into the car.... then when ya get it into the car then just twist the coat hanger around and twist the wires around it and tape over them and pull em thru...
just give it time!

Old 03-08-2007, 09:02 PM
HCF Member

It's gonna suck. The little boot thing is very slim, they didn't add much room in there for extra wiring. I need at least 2 sets of wiring to go through there at some point, but it seems almost impossible, at least on the drivers side, to see the other end. It comes out up almost around where the vents are, not down low where i can see it. I will just have to wait till tomorrow to figure it out, it's freezing outside atm.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

you can always buy some aftermarket wireing gromets..

tho i cannt remember the website that has them tho...
preaty much same style but nice shiny instead of rubber boot.... ill try and find the site tomrow....

Old 03-09-2007, 06:03 AM
HCF Member

Sweet. I will peep auto-zone tonight and see what they have in the way of grommets. Maybe i can find some little simple one, although I don't know how I am gonna drill that puppy, it's gonna be tight to get a drill in there.

Guess it's gonna be an all nighter job, I am up all night tonight anyway.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i realy doubt autozone will have it......
more of a online order stuff

http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/KeepI...arch=door+loom

search for the one you want on ebay and buy from a good seller

Old 03-09-2007, 07:03 PM
HCF Member

I hit lowes, got a 3 ft section of quarter inch vinyl tubing, pretty flexible, and 4 quarter inch grommets. Just gonna drill me some new holes and hook that sucka up. It should allow me to add up to 3 large wires, components, led's, and door locks :-)

I will post some pics once I have done the job. It's pretty ugly right now.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:29 PM
HCF Member

Well, after screwing with it for3 days, I have decided to F'n pay someone to do it for me. I got the actuators in, and all was well, but they won't fit with the door cover back over them. These are just slightly too large to fit in the larger section of arm rest on the doors. It's just turnign out to be too much for me. I would rather skip the 20 some cuts I will end up with on my hands and arms and just let someone do it for me :-)

Oh well, keyless is over-rated anyway, lol.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:35 PM

thats the hardest spot is findin a place where the door cover will let it fit...i think i put mine on the innerside of the door frame where the window is....good luck