Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

DIY Headunit Install In 2005 Civic Coupe 5 spd.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 04:21 PM
HCF Member
Default DIY Headunit Install In 2005 Civic Coupe 5 spd.

Ok, here is a DIY for a headunit install on a 2005 Civic 5 spd. It is probably similar for the years 2001-2005.

First there is a rectangular piece around the stick shift, it is only snaped in, you just pull upwards on it and it will pop out.

Then there is 2 screws to remove underneath that (you need a phillips head screwdriver)

Now, the whole U shaped piece that the power outlet is on & the 2 sides are all in one piece, you can pull out the sides first, just to pop them out. make sure both sides are loose and poped out.

now's time to pull on those sides to pop out the piece where the power outlet is. you can pull on those sides, but, go as close to the power outlet you can, because as you see in the pic, i broke one of my sides trying to pull on them further away from the power outlet. you need to pull staight towards the back of the car, don't pull upwards, go straight.

now when you get that out, you can remove the plug thats connected on the back of your power outlet, then you can put away that piece. now, you need to get your head underneath the dash to look where you took that piece out, there 2 bolts holding your whole Headunit console, u can unscrew them with a phillips head screwdriver or a 8mm socket. sorry, the next pic only shows one of the locations of the bolts, but they are not hard to find, they are the only 2 bolts that are up there and that are close to one another.

Now once you got those bolts out, the only thing holding your whole console is clips, but they are really hard to push out the first time. once you poped them out for the first time, it will be easy after that. I took my fingers and stuck them in there and pushed on the back of the stock headunit (you will think there is something else holding it, but there isn't, trust me, it's hard). there are clips all around that console. I tried to push one side at a time. Anyways, keep pushing and watch your fingers.

Now that u got that poped out, there is 4 plugs and the antenna to remove. the plug for the AC, Defrost & circulation buttons, the plug for your heater controls, the plug for your 4 way flasher button & the plug for the headunit, and the antenna. Now that all those plugs are removed, you can install your new headunit and reverse the process.

and There is also alot of people asking where to pass their wire for amp, so here's another pic that shows the grommet on the passenger side where i passed my 4 gauge wire threw.

Anyways, if anybody wants to add stuff in this DIY, they are more than welcome, as long as the information is correct. and if something is not clear, let me know and i'll try to fix it.