Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Deadening SqFt age?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 06:24 AM
Default Deadening SqFt age?

Hello All, just wondering how many SqFt it would take to do an entire 96 Hatchback VTi. Am planning to do both out and inner skins of the doors, roof, floor, andwalls. Rough estimate of 100SqFt but would love to know if somebody has done it and can give me a closer amount. Will be installing a Polk system and want to be able to hear it over road noise.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Default RE: Deadening SqFt age?

Personally I wouldn't use deadening material at all...IMO its a waste of money, you can't have that much road noise...I have been installing and messing with stereo systems since I first started driving and have never used dynomat material and have never had problems hearing my system over road noise...Besides if you can't hear it over road noise you don't have it turned up load enough......LOL[8D][&:][8D]

Old 10-12-2007, 02:34 AM

I like more of a quality system than volume. A comfortable ride is what I'm after. I also want to be able to hold a normal conversational tone with my wife while going 120kph.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well the deadening is good for blocking road noise when ya just dont want to hear it with the radio off....... cause i know when its wet out i cannt STAND that rain noise geting kicked up from the back wheels! its SUPER ANOYING!!!!!
but to get it done good ya know the whole car... roof and everything and if its REALY a bad noises id also pull the dash to do it....

Old 10-14-2007, 08:41 PM

I just did my doors with it because my rear 6x9s were drowning out my 6.5s in the doors. I put 2 layers and it works well for what I need. Its a good way to stop those annoying little rattles. Its a waste of money to do your whole car unless you are hitting the sq comps though

Old 10-15-2007, 02:12 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: civic08

Personally I wouldn't use deadening material at all...IMO its a waste of money, you can't have that much road noise...I have been installing and messing with stereo systems since I first started driving and have never used dynomat material and have never had problems hearing my system over road noise...Besides if you can't hear it over road noise you don't have it turned up load enough......LOL[8D][&:][8D]
WHAT?
It's main design (intention) isn't to keep out the road noise, it's to silence the resonating tones of your body panals. Althought there are products for the road noise. Yes turn it up and the hideous bass your system makes will cover even the worst road noise. BUT, put in some music (real music, not just some hip-hop bass tones) and all the noise you can squash....the better. Keeping out road noise is a great side effect of using such products.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:28 PM
HCF Member

Just dynamat your trunk and your doors inside layer and outside layer......I wouldnt worry about floors. If your driving a monster truk then okmi guess but your car can be all that lound. When you dynamat it just think of it a one big *** seal. ....I like it. If i can get a video of the test we did with it on how much noise difference it is ill poist it or something..

Old 10-16-2007, 08:51 PM
HCF Member

all or nothing.... i'm leaning towards nothing though....

Old 10-17-2007, 03:44 AM

KarTuneMan you're getting my drift. I've got most of the material in the mail just waiting on another package of foam and then I'll be ready. This thing should sound almost like a rolling soun booth. We'll see how it runs out. Will be using Last of the Mohicans Theme by Yanni as a test track. Another reason to do this is I live in a pretty hot tropical environment and this will help with blocking some of the heat. Thanks for the input guys. So.....does anybody know how many SqFt this will take?

Old 10-18-2007, 07:04 AM
HCF Member

Imagine your panals as pieces of plywood. Then aim a tad high, cause they aren't really flat. Hear's a thought..... you can't use too much!

Quick Reply: Deadening SqFt age?