Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

dash kit for cd player

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Default RE: dash kit for cd player

plastic bracketry to adapt an aftermarket hu to the factory radio opening and instructions

Old 07-11-2007, 07:29 PM
HCF Member

go to best buy or circuit city or other local shop and there like 20 bucks. they will also have a wire harness so you don't have to cut any factory wiring, which I HIGHLY recommend getting and is also 20 bucks.it will have the black plastic bracketry that will fill the emptyspace left by an aftermarket stereo. on an 03 it also puts a pocket under the radio. it should have instructions with it as well. you have to be really careful when pulling out the radio cuz there are a couple of hidden screws holding the radio console in from the bottom. also the vinyl dash material is very fragile and easy to rip. I'm a car audio installer and I have seen a few of these get messed up by just the slightest bit of pressure in the wrong place.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:36 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 97_ex

if i install a aftermarket cd player will i need a dash kit?
ya you will. on the 96-98 its kind of a rip off cuz its 20 bucks for a really small piece of plastic, but it will fill the space on the left and right of the radio cuz the stock one is not perfectly rectangular. It has that curve on the left side. if you do it yourself, the radio is held in place from behind with 2 10mm bolts. to get too it you have to remove the bottom cover under the steering wheel, then the cover in the middle with the 12v adapter (cigarette lighter) on it. all the screws are philips heads. then you should be able to get to the 2 10mm bolts. also get the wiring harness so you don't have to cut off the factory harness, also if you get the harness, all you will have to do is match colors with the one that comes with the radio. easy as pie. oh and either solder or use crimp caps, don't just twist and tape.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:00 AM

ok new steareo has now been fitted and it was very easy! problem i have now is everytime i switch off car i lose radio station ot where cd was and i have to press on and off button on cd player as it wont come on manualy. I have a wiring harness and i have switched the yellow and red wire on the aftermarket cd player!!! does the wiring harness already switch the red and yellow wires or am i doing something wrong??

Old 07-12-2007, 04:17 AM

Sounds like a power connection was missed. Usually there is one lead that is constantly powered to retain programming and positional information. The other power lead is usually switched with the ignition to save your battery.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:51 AM

probably your switched ignition(red) and constant power are switched(yellow) because of you werent getting power to either of them then it wouldnt turn on at all. just out of curiosity what brand of radio do you have? some cheapies dont keep cd memory when u turn it off. but check your wiring if it all checks out you might just have a bum unit.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:32 AM
HCF Member

ya the radio must always have a constant 12v (yellow wire) to keep its memory. it must have both a constant and switched 12V (yellow and red) to turn on. so if its turning on but not keeping its memory, you prolly switched the constant and ignition. If you did correctly match all of the colors, and it still does this, then there is the possibility that that manufacturer of either the radio or the wiring harness switched the two wires when making the product. I does happen even in a factory. Just switch thetwo so that yellow is on red and red is on yellow and you should be good.