Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

CUSTOM underglow

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 01:29 AM
HCF Member
Default CUSTOM underglow

so.. ive been brainstorming.

i know for sure that i want underglow. but i dont want to worry about trying to hide or mount the bulbs or flex strips.

so i was thinkin about how im gunna get the best quality glow, ALL the way around the car. not just the sides, the front and the back. so i thought. what about wiring up about 150 or 200 LED's around the ENTIRE perimiter of the car.

i was thinkin about just drilling holes in the body on the underside of the car.. and wiring up each individual LED together and eventually toa switch.

anybody have any comments about this? think it might work? think not? and i really dont care how much work i'll have to put in to it. as long as it looks good. and i cant imagine it looking better than if the glow was all the way around.

thanks guys.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:11 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: CUSTOM underglow

have you considered getting an underglow kit?
oznium has some great onees

Old 02-10-2007, 09:01 AM
HCF Member

yeh, that would work, i've seen it done, looks nice. Also, if you want to spend the money, im almost positive they make underglow kits that arent tubes, they are prewired strips with LED's already on them thatll cut about %99 of your work. Stay away from tubes if i were ou too, i had them and they are nothing but trouble if you dont have ground clearance
[align=left] [/align]

Old 02-10-2007, 09:30 AM
HCF Member

that is way too much work. i suggest the flex strips or even the cold cathode setups. wheres addiction2bass? he will give you a rundown on this. oh and when addiction reads this. i made myself a nice new switchbox =) ill post pictures sooon.

Old 02-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya the drilling holes for a TON of leds... o COME ON.... must anyone even coment on thinking of doing that much work.LOL

just bust out some L channeling and put a few screws in it to attach it to the car and run the flexable led strips.....

but if you REALY want to LITERLY spend afew HUNDRED HOURSE drilling holes.. soldering wires and resistors and then SEALING up those holes to prevent your car from realy rusten out... go right ahead
PERSONALY id delete this THREAD ASAP...
come on... think about it...

rear lights are easy as hell to hide..... front lights can be hidden by a front lower lip
and sides can be hide with some l chaneling....

i have to buy new channeling for the front.... cause im playing with a HUGE pile of snow making a car ramp and pulling up it for the first time.. lets just say its alittle to steep and my front L channeling is bent more into a upsidedown V now. LFMAO but my led flexstrip still works perfect try that with neon tubes.

Old 02-10-2007, 07:56 PM
HCF Member

Cold cathodes are definitely out. They are good lights... but I'd never put em under my car. The led flex strips are an option.. But I don't know how to mount them. I DON'T want to tape or zip tie them. No offense to anyone who has done that, but I think it cheapens the car. I'm totally cool with doin the extra work . Plus with underbody kits, the corners of the car are completely blacked out. My setup would go around the entire edge of the car so there's light everywhere. Plus. I priced it out, and any underbody kit that's worth getting, is like 2 or 300 bux. With individual LEDs, it would be about 150. And I already have the wire and stuff. So the only expense would be time. And that's fine with me.. Looks are the most important part to me. And its worth it to me to spend the extra time and extra work to make it look good.

I guess my question is, is it possible to hook up LEDs one after the other? Like if I hook up one LED to a power source, then ground the - wire to the + of the next LED will that work? And if so, how many LEDs would I be able to go thru before I had to ground it and hook up the power source again? Cuz if I did that, I could get the prewired led's and just solder the + of one to the - of the one before it all the way around and I wouldn't need wires other than from the switch to the first one and then a ground from the last one.

Anybody know if that would work? Addiction I'm waitin for your answer on this one. Haha.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Recognized HCF Member

if you wired em that way.... they would be verly lite if any....

go with the flexable LED strips...... costs ruffly 60bucks per 6ft strip.... 4 strips 240bucks..... BUT how is zip ties make it cheap......
its quick its easy and its strong!
if you want to screw the zipties to the car... they have those types available at your local hardware store.....
ive never had any zip ties break or melt thru....

BUT IN SHORT... TRUST ME BUYING SEPERATE LEDS WILL COST LESS "YES" BUT THE TIME YOU WILL SPEND SOLDERING A RESISTOR TO EACH LED AND THEN 2 WIRES PER LED.... HOW MANY LEDS YOU PLANING ON USING.... LETS SAY 100..... THATS 300 SOLDER JOINTS! i used the soldering leds on my trucks gauges.... and well after adozen i got REALY SICK OF SOLDERING!!!!!!
PLUS leds HAVE to be powered right or they wont lite up... the POSITIVE prong has got to be the positive wire! that alone in another PITA...
trust me paying twice as much will be worth every penny!

Old 02-10-2007, 10:55 PM
HCF Member

I am going with the flex strips when i decide on a color, probably white for me, but its off in the future.

I can't imaging doing it some other way, plus the flex strips are already waterproof, and wired for you.

I can't see individual's looking that good at all to be honest, I would think after you got the front done, you would give up. Save some money and do it easy. Thats my .02 anyway.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:31 AM
HCF Member

dude - listen to addiction, he knows his stuff

Old 02-11-2007, 05:10 PM
HCF Member

You guys are right. Its just that I know there's nowhere to hide lights in the front or back. The car rests like 4 inches off the ground already. And l channeling will bring it down that much more. And I bottom out all the time. So that's what I'm worried about.

Quick Reply: CUSTOM underglow