Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

component speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 09:09 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: component speaker question

does your car have factory tweeters? Am I going to have to pull out my manual, lol.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:16 PM
HCF Member

Ok, looking at my manual, it shows your car to have factory tweets, which I am guessing it does, yes :-)

That 4 wire package there is just a factory splice. Whats actualy happening is this, your radio runs to that 4 wire pack, which connects your door woofer, then it splices itself, in that origional factory bracket there and runs off to the tweeter.

So in other words, its normal. 2 of those wires, 1 neg, 1 pos, are comming from the stereo itself.

The other 2 branch off and run through the door to the tweeter, they end at that terminal that only shows 2 wires, to power the tweeter. So if you are going to cut those off, you just need to make sure you trace the 2 that are running to the stereo, and run them, extended with another wire if you need to, to your crossover input. Then run the other 2 to the tweeter output on the crossover.

Basicly you need to make sure you have your input hooked to the blue and blk/wht wires comming from the stereo. You can hook the speakers up however you like from there. Either utilize some of the factory wiring thats already running to the locations of the speakers, or install your own, its just as easy.

Let me know if that clears it up.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:26 PM
HCF Member

jeezis. i need to get one of those install manuals you got.

it would have saved me a few HOURS of work. lol.

thanks.

now i gotta go digging into the factory wiring, which is bound by black electrical tape covered with years of grime.

NAAAASSSSTTTTTTYYYYYY!!1

Old 02-18-2007, 09:29 PM
HCF Member

shouldn't be that hard really, just trace the 2 wires that run away from the center console to the tweeters, then assume the other 2 are comming from the head unit. shouldn't take 5 minutes to hook it all up, and a few butt connectors, maybe a wire or two.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:33 PM
HCF Member

it should be simple but if there's something to go wrong, i can usually stumble across it. lol.

my biggest problem is that the four wires to the woofer adapter are coming out of a thin black plastic tube bound by black electrical tape.

i've gotta go cut that tape so i can find out which of the wires comes from the head unit and which are splitting off to the tweeters.

this may take a while... lol.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:30 PM
HCF Member

yeah, i hate factory wiring sometimes, they go to great lengths to protect it.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:32 PM
HCF Member

damm. about 10 hours into this installation and i'm still not done. lol.

i woulda finished tonight but i said "phukkit, i'm gonna do it right."

so i busted out a brand new professional soldering gun and started soldering away at the tweeter connections.

I'm gonna solder ALL the spliced wires and use heatshrink tubing instead of using wire connectors because this has been one misadventure after another.

so i might as well go the whole nine yards...

Old 02-18-2007, 11:36 PM
HCF Member

BTW, if any of you ever buy a new car don't even bother with paying for the factory sound system. it's garbage.

the head units suck and the speakers are made out of cardboard paper similar to the paper used in elementary school.

what a ripoff...

Old 02-19-2007, 02:47 AM
HCF Member

yea theyre little 15 watt cardboard junk, made in mexico....btw, i left my stock tweeters in, and drilled a hole i n each door to add the new tweeter, so i have all 4 hooked up

Old 02-19-2007, 10:15 PM
HCF Member

hey stu, I DEEED EEET!

it took a few hours and some nervous soldering work, but i finally got my components installed and working.

just look at this cleanAssed install babeee!!1

no wiring connectors to be found ANYWHARS!

just solid solder connections and heatshrink tubing.

the hardest part was the splicing. I didn't have the correct piers so i had to strip wires with my leatherman tool. that was a royal PITA.

and I even routed the new spliced wires into the original grommet openings with meticulous care!

but it was all worth it because now i actually have music coming from the front of my car instead of just in the back. REAL Music, that sounds excellent instead of muddy.

the only problem is that my fronts overpower my rears now since my rears are OEM junk. I guess i need to start saving for some Infinity coaxials now...

Quick Reply: component speaker question