Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

component speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 07:59 PM
HCF Member
Default component speaker question

i bought some 6.5" infinity component speakers to replace my integra's OEM front component speakers, which were blown out.

my question is do i need to wire them any differently since the infinity's have a dedicated crossover unit? My OEM components don't have crossovers.

I also don't have a dedicated amplifier yet. all four speaker locations are being powered by the head unit.

so I guess my quandry is how do i wire the crossovers? I haven't done a stereo install in more than 10 years (and have never done a component install).

I have the OEM wiring for the front door woofers, as well as separate OEM wiring for the front door tweeters.

I'll have to put the crossover units further back on the inside door frame, away from the speakers because of space requirements.

do I splice the OEM wiring from the woofers and tweeters and send it back to the crossover?

here's what my layout resembles, but I DON"T have the extra wiring to the crossover from a dedicated amp like in the picture.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:14 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: component speaker question

Well first of all, let me tell you that you will notice a 100% improvement on your speaker selection ONLY if amped right. The head unit will only go so far, and in this case, they will actualy be underpowering your speakers, and may cause alot of distortion or clipping because of it.

The way components are typicaly wired is through their crossover network system. You will usualy see a setup like this.

1. Amplifier channel output to Crossover L/R Input
2. Component woofer to crossover "woofer/mid output"
3. Component tweeter to crossover "high/tweeter output"

So you run your amp's speaker wire connection, whether Left or Right, to the correct crossover network, it usualy connects in the center of the 6 available mounting screws. Your woofer will connect to 2 more, which should be labeled, and your tweeter to the remaining 2.

The setup will have a RMS power raiting, so if they say they demand 150RMS watts, you need an amp thats pushing around 100+ RMS power to each speaker. If only running those 2, a 2 channel 400 watt amp would do, if running rear speakers too, you would want a 4 channel, around 600-800 watts.

Now, for your question, lol.

If you are going to insist on hooking up the system with the head unit's power supply, you will want to splice the factory wiring, and hook that output up to the crossover's input channel, but make sure you have your positive and negative leads clear, so you don't hook them up backwards, or hook 1 up opposite the other.

The factory speaker wiring will be your "input" power, then it splits off to another wire for each individual part of the component setup. You will need to cut a few extra strips of speaker wire to run to both the tweeter and woofer on each side.

I hope I didn't confuse you, I think I confused myself.

Again, I really suggest amping them, even if its a smaller amp, the more power they get, the better the overall sound quality will be.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:20 PM
HCF Member

you confused me, but I get the jist of it.

OEM wiring to the crossovers input tabs.

then additional wires from the crossover output tabs back to the woofers and tweeters (separately).

and leave the additional amp imput tabs on the crossovers alone for now.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:46 PM
HCF Member

hey stu,

is this what you mean?

Old 02-17-2007, 08:53 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, never seen it done that way, but hey, whatever works.

I didn't know you had 4 sets of tabs, thought it was just 3, all the versions I have seen offer 1 input, and 2 outs.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:54 PM
HCF Member

hmmm. lemme check real quick.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:56 PM
HCF Member

crap. there's seven (7) prong tabs on the crossovers...

diagram is wrong, as well as the layout.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:02 PM
HCF Member

This is what I was picturing in my head.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:08 PM
HCF Member

schweet. thanks.

just one question.

what happened to the seventh crossover tab? did you leave it off to represent the amp wire?

Old 02-17-2007, 09:11 PM
HCF Member

I still haven't found a pic of one with the seventh tab, I am looking. paint one up for me if you have time, and label them just as they are.

Check this out, click on the pic for a close up window, study the crossover. thats what I am visualizing.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3451.html#

Quick Reply: component speaker question