Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Component/amp questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 12:34 PM
HCF Member
Default Component/amp questions

Alright; so I've been doing lots of reading lately - I've searched the forums and it doesn't appear as though this is a re-post.

In January, I'm going to be replacing the factory stereo equipment in my '02 coupe. This is what I'm looking at currently

Head unit: Alpine CDA-9885
Front speakers: Alpine SPR-17S 6.5" components
Rear speakers: either Apline SPR-69C 6x9" 2-way or SPS-69C3 6x9" 3-way
Amplifier: ????

So here are the questions that I have:

1) For the rears, I know that the type-R speakers are Alpine's better quality speaker, but is there an advantage with going with the type-S, which is a 3 way speaker instead of a 2 way?
2) I'm assuming the tweeters from the components will fit in my factory tweeter locations? If I'm wrong, please let me know!
3) At the current time, I have no plans to install a sub, since I want to keep all of my trunk space. Would it be worthwhile to add an amp to this setup? Should I get a 2 channel and just run the rears off of it, or it it a good idea to get a 4 channel and run all of the speakers from it?
4) If the answer to 3) is a "yes", any amp suggestions?

From what I've read on these forums, most people speak quite positively about Alpine equipment; so I think (hope!) I'll be happy with this setup; plus the 9885 head unit is sexy as hell. Originally I was just going to replace the 6x9s and the head unit, since the factory rears are blown. After finding out I need to take out about 75% of the interior to get the rear deck out, I figured I might as well do the rest of it and replace everything at once.

If anybody reccommends any equipment other than what I've listed, let me know!

Thanks,
-A

Old 12-14-2007, 05:17 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Component/amp questions

diamond audio in my opinion sounds better then alpine ...... i would amp some good componets up front and put your tweets in the kick.....

Old 12-14-2007, 06:51 PM
HCF Member

I am starting to get mixed emotions about Alpine.

Their subs seem to be having some quality issues from what I am reading, but as for their components I have no experience.

I like their Type S, because they are lower on the power requirements, and pair well with the standard output of an aftermarket deck, however if you are going to do the R's, I would suggest amping them, to get the best sound.

A good Alpine, or otherwise 4 channel amp would be a good idea. And if your deck has front and rear RCA outputs, you can run 2 sets to the trunk or wherever you decide the mount your amp, and still have the ability to control them seperately as F/R and if applicable apply seperate settings to them with high pass filters, or otherwise onboard audio controls.

I know alot of people around here love JL audio's components. I used to hear alot out of MB Quart, they used to sound great, some say there quality has fell recently. I am sure the type R's will sound pretty solid though.

The tweeters may fit in the factory locations, If not it probably won't be hard to position them somewhere else. If your tweeters are mounted in the door, they will probably fit well there, if not you can always make a custom installation.

Anyway, I am kinda behind on my car audio lately, I used to post some about it, but i am so busy I can't get enough time to post. If anything, I would push you towards a 4 channel amp. Something that has enough power to at least get to within 75% of the RMS wattage for the speakers. I always ran my wattage a little lower then the speakers called for, basicly because I didn't want to blow too much money on the amp, but 4 channels are common, and the wattage shouldn't be that hard to find.

I am sure someone else will post wtih specific suggestions.

Just by glancing, this looks to be a decent amp for your power needs. You could still go up and swap brands. I am a brand ***** though, I like to stick to the same brand with audio whenever possible. Alot of people aren't like me though. Its all in how much you want to spend and what you want out of the total system. Volume, or quality. Both usualy cost a little extra.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:34 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: civicduty96

diamond audio in my opinion sounds better then alpine ...... i would amp some good componets up front and put your tweets in the kick.....
Sorry, are you suggesting to not mount the tweeters in the factory location but rather in the door panel?

Old 12-16-2007, 04:25 PM
HCF Member

mount them down in the kick panel.... the farther away they are from your ear the better they will image and sound..... dont worry about them being down low ..set up right and youll have eye level imaging..... and being mounted down there they wont be too bright.... iv'e found that mounting them in the a pillars or up high there harder to control and will give you listening fitiuge

Old 12-16-2007, 05:37 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Stumasters

I am starting to get mixed emotions about Alpine.

Their subs seem to be having some quality issues from what I am reading, but as for their components I have no experience.

I like their Type S, because they are lower on the power requirements, and pair well with the standard output of an aftermarket deck, however if you are going to do the R's, I would suggest amping them, to get the best sound.

A good Alpine, or otherwise 4 channel amp would be a good idea. And if your deck has front and rear RCA outputs, you can run 2 sets to the trunk or wherever you decide the mount your amp, and still have the ability to control them seperately as F/R and if applicable apply seperate settings to them with high pass filters, or otherwise onboard audio controls.

I know alot of people around here love JL audio's components. I used to hear alot out of MB Quart, they used to sound great, some say there quality has fell recently. I am sure the type R's will sound pretty solid though.

The tweeters may fit in the factory locations, If not it probably won't be hard to position them somewhere else. If your tweeters are mounted in the door, they will probably fit well there, if not you can always make a custom installation.

Anyway, I am kinda behind on my car audio lately, I used to post some about it, but i am so busy I can't get enough time to post. If anything, I would push you towards a 4 channel amp. Something that has enough power to at least get to within 75% of the RMS wattage for the speakers. I always ran my wattage a little lower then the speakers called for, basicly because I didn't want to blow too much money on the amp, but 4 channels are common, and the wattage shouldn't be that hard to find.

I am sure someone else will post wtih specific suggestions.

Just by glancing, this looks to be a decent amp for your power needs. You could still go up and swap brands. I am a brand ***** though, I like to stick to the same brand with audio whenever possible. Alot of people aren't like me though. Its all in how much you want to spend and what you want out of the total system. Volume, or quality. Both usualy cost a little extra.
Stu, forgot to mention. Thanks for the great information. The prices on SonicElectronix are great - that amp is about $150 more on Crutchfield Canada.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:34 PM
HCF Member

I'm going with all type R's in my soon to come system.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:43 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ltkenbo

I'm going with all type R's in my soon to come system.
Did you have any thoughts on what type of amp you are planning on going with?

Old 12-17-2007, 10:42 AM
HCF Member

I don't have a lot of experience with different brands of speakers, but I really like the sound from Infinity's Reference and Kappa series. They seem very well made and the sound is great. They have fairly high dB sensitivities as well, so you don't need as much power out of your amp to drive them effectively.

Just my 2 cents.