Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

can i re/wire, hardwire the alternator directly to the battery? 99EX

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default can i re/wire, hardwire the alternator directly to the battery? 99EX

problem is.... to much bass not enough juice......... im pushen 1200watts with my orion D2400 and not sure how much draw the amp has BUT i know its more than the tiny 70amp alt can put out.LOL

i realy need to get a replacement alternator thats beefed up for sure!
but for this time can i hardwire the power output wire with a larger wire directly to the battery? not cutting the original wire but leaving it still on the terminal but yet adding another wire and running it to the battery...

i have preaty bad voltage drop! already added 1/0gauge wire from the negative battery post to the strut bar nut and then ran a additional wire from thier to the front steering pulley ground mount removing that crapy... what that tiny 10gauge ground wire....LOL totaly removed it!

tho it did help my voltage drop ALITTLE.... still turn it up to 23 outta 33 and voltage dips into the 11volts...... NOT GOOD!
and my radio also starts to sound crapy! now i just put on a new antena thinking that was the problem BUT it only helped alittle since only 1 station i listen to comes in always perfect... so next for the radio i have to rewire it directly to the battery with some 8gauge wire i got laying around... just have to pull the battery to access the firewall grommet so i can keep the wire short as posible and hidden! then ill also have to give the radio a new ground as well... so i might run both 8gauge power and ground directly to the battery just for the hell of it! to ensure it has a REALY GOOD CONECTION! plan on doing that tomorow night weather permiting...

BUT sorry for backtracking.....
just wondering if this hardwiring alternator if it would help much or not.... or if i can that is.... ive been sending HOalternators emails but he must not check his other email or it got caught in a filter cause no reply in the last 2 weeks

Old 07-19-2006, 10:29 PM
Default RE: can i re/wire, hardwire the alternator directly to the battery? 99EX

There is a large threaded terminal on the alt that's got a plastic or rubber cover over it and usually has a lil + next to it on the casing(might not be visable but a test light will show you if it's a positive or not). If you run an 8 or better 4 ga wire to that terminal and to the battery you will get dirrect power flow from the alt to the battery, just make sure to put a fuse in the system to have a failsafe from shorts and fires.