Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

BOX BUILDING

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 03:10 PM
Default RE: BOX BUILDING

Unfortunately, it's about 100 times more prone to leaks...

Old 01-30-2005, 05:09 PM
HCF Member

thats what i was thinking. it wont seal like MDF and also isnt as rigid, so it will flex, killing the bass pressures.

Old 01-31-2005, 09:55 AM
HCF Member

Thats why MDF stands for "Medium Density Fiberboard". But it sort of is plwood though... only dust compacted under extreme pressures.

Old 01-31-2005, 11:36 AM

I bought my box because I really do not have access to place where I could build a sub box. I'm not sure what kind of car you have but after you get the specs. make sure it will fit your space.The box I have now holds (2) 12" s and another inch here or there it would not fit. If i went by the manufacturer specs. the box I would have would not fit.
I am not saying do not build you own box just plan the build and who knows you might have a talent for it........

Old 02-03-2005, 09:40 AM
HCF Member

i was afraid noone was gonna mention MDF(...few...). also about caulking..its better to just double caulk ,inside and out..thing that are also important, sub and power size..one box doesnt fit all..thats why pre built boxes suck. subs need space depending on the amount of pressure they need. if u got to small of a box it will blow.another thing to keep in mind is putting layers inside the box to make it more solid with less flex. make sure your not taking away space from the sub..make it like a grate so its got support but slits for air to pass through..

Old 02-03-2005, 03:55 PM

All pre-built boxes suck?

http://www.jlaudio.com/enclosures/CVS210RGW6v2.html#

Old 02-03-2005, 04:20 PM
HCF Member

no, he means that the typical 1 cubic foot is not substantial enough in most cases, like my 12" Titanic sub reccomends a 2.5 to 3.0 cubic ft bix, I have mine in a 1.3 becasue I dont want the wait... although it does the jo pretty good. It really depends on the manufacturer of the sub.... like the kicker comps are deisgned to be in the snuggest boax around, and they can be put in medium size boxes too.

Old 02-03-2005, 05:20 PM

I get the concept of the space needed for the subs to perform at thier peak. There are manufacturers that build boxes to the specs. of many companys. The box I have now is just a few inches off of what the manufacturers say is needed for premium sound and response. My father (he's 58) re-built a bandpass box and installed (2) 12' Polk Audio subs. He did'nt like the sound so he called tech support at Polk ,gave them the specs they told him where to reposition the ports and change port size to meet thier requirements. He recommended that I do the same for my box; the only way to get the most out of my speakers and enclosure was to add ports.
I am not against bulding boxes I wish I had access to the tools and the space to build my own......

Old 02-04-2005, 12:42 PM
HCF Member

thank you remington for clearing that up ..ill correct myself as well...i mean like prebuilt boxes at best buy and circut sh*ty that have basic 1 foot boxes like remmy said lol...if your gonna get a prebuilt off JL or something thats adifferent story. they know what they are building for..same with most comps.

i still say custom boxes are better but my first system had a prebuilt..some people just dont have the space and time..tools however..all you need is a pencil, saw,power drill,screws and caulking..cant be too hard..well..ehhh drilling out the speaker hole can be a pain so your right..it does take a bit more tools

Old 02-04-2005, 02:47 PM
HCF Member

Ya, generally when a decent or better subwoofer leaves its factory in a box... that means the box is SPECIFCALLY desigend around the sub or sometimes vice versa. I know some home audio companys spend years and years to build their cabinets to perfection (I AM NOT INCLUDING BOSE! [sm=forgetit.gif]). Hey DC, what setup you got?

Quick Reply: BOX BUILDING