Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

BOX BUILDING

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 03:02 AM
HCF Member
Default BOX BUILDING

i want to build a custom box where can i get info on specs and tools and all of that crap at?

Old 01-05-2005, 02:54 PM
Default RE: BOX BUILDING

Get some wood. Make a box. Put some felt carpet stuff on it.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:16 AM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 01-20-2005, 07:54 PM

hey you can only learn if you try. the first box i ever built look like complete crap so expect the worse if your anything like me. I always belived in overkill my last setup was 2 kicker L5's 12's in a sealed 3.2 cube box inside the box i built a 2 by 2 frame and scewed the walls into that for extra extra extra support and 3 tubes of construction adhesive later waaaaalaaaaaa or however you spell that word i had a box. But what would suggest if your going sealed be sure to use 5/8 to 3/4 material perferably MDF board and lots of glue, casue i hate air leaks they make me mad and once again make me go ccrrrraaaaaaazzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyy with the glue. And also usally the specs will be on the manufactures web site or another useful site is go to www.crutchfeild.com they have alot of online specs and so forth.................................happy building my friend.......and when using the circular saw just remember god gave us 10 fingers for a reason..........and when in doubt use massive amounts of glue mmmuuuhhhaaaa...<<...(evil laugh)

Old 01-24-2005, 03:40 PM
HCF Member

yea use 3/4 wood. they come in huge sheets of like 5'x8' or something like that. Its dirt cheap too! like $20 @ lowes for 1 sheet. Not only use glue, but here is a great sealing trick, use caulk. Thats right "DAP" caulk. If you dont have a gun, dont worry , they have them with self despensers

Old 01-24-2005, 11:57 PM

As stated before, use 3/4" MDF. Use glue for all the joints. You can use clamps or screws for pulling the joints together, the glue is what holds everything together. Screws are easier than clamps tho. Also predrill, and countersink for your screws. Use wood putty, or something similar to fill in the countersink holes. And sand it down. Then paint, carpet, or whatever you wanna do.

Also, to find out your internal space, take the internal dimensions in inches. And devide by 1728 to get your internal cu/ft.

Porting's a lot different, and i can't explain it.

Hope this helps

Old 01-25-2005, 12:12 AM
HCF Member

a pin or finish nailer works well too.

Old 01-25-2005, 12:39 AM
NTX
HCF Member

my brother built a box for his Z once. best looking box i've ever seen....worse sounding box i've ever heard...

Old 01-25-2005, 02:12 AM

Mine is the opposite: worst looking, best sounding.

But yeah, 3/4" particle board/MDF, glue and screw the joints, and caulk all the inside corners. And when you build it to a specific volume, make sure to add for the amount of displacement from the sub basket/magnet assembly.

Old 01-30-2005, 05:59 AM

Not sure what size speakers you want but you'll need to do some research into what frequency response you want from the box and if the subs you'll be fitting will require vents or not. I'd personally stay away from 3/4" MDF too and go for the plywood instead, it's lighter, and much easier to work with.

Quick Reply: BOX BUILDING