Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

aux input

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 09:02 PM
Default aux input

in my 06 civ lx it says cd/aux

wat is a auxillary input?
and how do i use it?

Old 03-31-2006, 03:41 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: aux input

The auxilary input should look like a headphone jack. It's most commonly used for plugging stuff like iPod's and Mp3 players into your stereo. If you want to connect something to it, go to Best Buy, or a place that sells audio cables, then buy a headphone extension cable. It should look like a plain cable with two 1/8" headphone plugs at either end. Also, it should have something about it in your owner's manual or the quick start guide.

Old 04-01-2006, 09:06 PM
HCF Member

Honda makes an adapter (aux input) that is used to add an ipod or audio from another source, like a DVD player. It plugs into the back of the factory radio.

Old 04-19-2006, 02:06 PM

The "auxilliary audio input" jack is standard in the '06 coupes, not the '06 sedans. In a coupe, look just under the 12-volt power outlet and you should see the aux. audio input jack right there.

Why not the sedan? That's a mistake, or bad marketing assumption, I feel. Hey, even "old duffers" like me (I'm 52) have MP3 players, satellite radios, and the like. Many of us are just as likely as any 20something-year-old to want to plug in some kind of aux. device--even in a 'boring' sedan! It's 2006, and we are, in general, a technolological society now. This should be stock in the Civic sedans. Just because I purchased a sedan does not mean I don't want that feature in my car!

How do I get one? I had this optional jack installed (by my dealer) in my '06 Civic LX sedan, and it normally costs about $120 installed, give or take. (Actually, I paid half of that, as the dealer picked up the other half. Long story as to why.) Contact your local dealer for an estimate for your car.

Where's it go? The AUX input jack housing looks like a small "tower" (or a kind of pyramid with its top sliced off), if you will. It gets installed on the right-hand side of the 'floor' of the large storage bin that's in front of the transmission shifter. At the top of this black, plastic, add-on, is a mini (1/8th inch stereo) female jack, with an attached "dust cover" that plugs into the jack when not in use. (I'd estimate the base of the aux. jack supports plastic housing to be two-and-a-half inches wide, an inch-and-a-half deep, and maybe two-inches tall?) The height of it does not exceed the depth of the storage bin that it's mounted in.

What's it for? Well, I use the aux. input jack to feed the output of my Sirius satellite radio into the car's stereo system. When I select the "AUX" input on the stock car stereo, the jack is then 'live' and my satelite radio plays through thr cars speaker system. I've also used the aux input jack with my portable (iRiver) MP3 player.

One less storage bin? I've installed my Sirius 'Sportster Replay' at the front of the storage bin where the AUX input jack is, and I only use that bin now to hide (or stick) the excess wiring for the satellite radio; i.e. the power cable, antenna cable, etc. I'll have to post a couple of pics of this--it turned out looking fine. There are several other storage bins/pockets in the car, so I don't miss that particular one. :-)

One interesting detail: The car sound system's speed-sensitive volume control (SVC) works on the AUX input, which, of course, works the same as it does when you're listening to an FM station. A nice touch--as my satellite radio volume varies automatically with vechicle speed. :-)

Regards,

Old 03-15-2007, 01:26 PM

My auxiliary jack is making a weird noise...after I replaced the 3.5mm cable it is still all staticy. Do you think Is hould bring it to the dealer to have them look at it?

Old 03-15-2007, 01:28 PM

I replaced my 3.5mm cable for my ipod video because it was staticy...and it still is. Has anyone else had this problem?
Do you think I should bring it to the dealer for them to look at it? (I have 37,500 miles on it now so warranty is up...)

Thanks!

-Annie
CT
2006 Civic coupe EX

Old 03-15-2007, 01:50 PM
HCF Member

The wire between the radio and the input could be bad or there is road noise.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:53 PM

The aux jack is std on my 06 EX Sedan. Haven't used it yet though, need to get around to getting a jack for it.