Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

audio suggestions and help

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Default audio suggestions and help

alright so i got a sony xplod CDX-GT520 receiver 52x4
i want to put in new speakers, the 4 for now, maybe an enclosure later on
for now im just planning on spending about $100-150ish on something decent
any suggestions on what specifications should i be looking for for that price? like rms wattage, etc and should i get an amp for the speakers?

also, theres a problem with the wiring for my front passenger speaker, if i move the wires by the door hinges itll work, otherwise it wont... obviously its a faulty wire... but any1 have an idea where?
do i have to reach behind the dash, is it inside the door panelor should i justrun completely new wires?
basically i just want 2 go in there with an idea of what would be simplest

Old 07-02-2008, 01:07 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: audio suggestions and help

just go to sonicelectronix.com They have good deals.

And the rms and peak power, it all depends on how loud you listen to your music, but usually its nice to have something pretty high. Like over 80RMS and over or around 240 peak.

If you move the speakers and it fixes it, the problem is probably right where you moved it. You could just splice in new wire, but you have to be sure that is where the problem is.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The wires break where they go thru the rubber tube across the hinge. That part flexes every time the door is opened. Splice in new wires. The splice needs to be well before the part that moves since flexing a splice will break it quickly. For the front door speakers it would be quite simple to abandon the stock harness entirely and run new wires all the way from the head unit to the speaker.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:34 PM

i removed the door panel and the the glove box and ended up finding the faluty wire so thats settled...
now for some speakers... any reccomendations? maybe a specific brand

do i just look at specs or just the materials the cones are made of?
since im not getting any subwoofers or amps for now... should i justget them 3-way?

Old 07-03-2008, 06:55 PM
HCF Member

look into infinity speakers. they are super clean and im sure you could get 2 pairs of their reference series speakers somewhere on the internet in that price range. you can go to any best buyand hear themif you want to listen to them first.

focals are really nice too but im thinking its gonna be a little more expensive than $150.

as far as the speaker wire just run new wire from the radio to the speaker and you won't have to worry about finding where the wire is faulty. that would probably be easiest

Old 07-05-2008, 08:31 AM

if i replace the existing stock wire.. which ive heard is over 16 gauge with something like12.... would i need 2 replace the connectors as well?

Old 07-05-2008, 10:30 AM
HCF Member

16 gauge is the biggest size speaker wire you will need for multi-element speakers. the factory wiring is only 18 or 20gauge depending on the year. the only time that you would need 12 gauge is if you are running it to a high powered sub.

and if you are switching the speakers at the same time that you run the speaker wire then no you would not have to replace the plugs. just go straight from the radio to the terminals of the new speaker.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:39 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: juan2155

alright so i got a sony xplod CDX-GT520 receiver 52x4
i want to put in new speakers, the 4 for now, maybe an enclosure later on
for now im just planning on spending about $100-150ish on something decent
any suggestions on what specifications should i be looking for for that price? like rms wattage, etc and should i get an amp for the speakers?

also, theres a problem with the wiring for my front passenger speaker, if i move the wires by the door hinges itll work, otherwise it wont... obviously its a faulty wire... but any1 have an idea where?
do i have to reach behind the dash, is it inside the door panelor should i justrun completely new wires?
basically i just want 2 go in there with an idea of what would be simplest
I have the same exact HU as you. i just ordered some speakers also and they should be here on tuesday. can't wait for them, anyways i got some infinity 6022i in the front and alpine s in the back. but i heard people saying that it's better to have speakers witht eh same brand. but i will let you know how they sound. i spent around $130 from crutchfied. I've decided to order from crutchfield because it comes with installation instructions, all wires and hardwares for installation, and it is also free shipping if the order is $129+ . i will let you know how they sound

Old 07-05-2008, 02:28 PM

thanks a lot sig
good looking out...
and azngiants.. plz let me know because im still undecided on whether i want to go all out on a fullsystem... so the feedback would really help...

thanks again

Old 07-06-2008, 12:28 PM
HCF Member

if u cant listen to the speaker even if its in the store.... u need to read reviews. No - u dont want a 3 way speaker. u want a 2 way coax speaker if u arent getting comps.
Brands that ive had good look with - Polk (db line will prob be in ur price), Pioneer (just some of the ones just above entry level), Alpine (type R, the S will be mediocre)