Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Anybody Have Their Subs Firing Forward?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 07:41 PM
HCF Member
Default Anybody Have Their Subs Firing Forward?

I'm building a new box and I am trying to decide how I want to do it. I kinda want to fire it into the back seat so you could see it if I put the seat down and so it doesn't get hit if I have crap in the trunk, but I dont' want to lose the resonance from it firing backward. Anybody experiment with both ways?

Old 07-13-2005, 08:50 PM
Default RE: Anybody Have Their Subs Firing Forward?

ORIGINAL: Street Sniper
Anybody experiment with both ways?
This could very well be my new sig........................

Anyway, It is a bad idea to face your subs forward. The only real way to pull it off succesfully is to completly seal the front of the box to the cab. SO no bass what so ever goes into the trunk. Then its kinda like a truck or a hatchback

Old 07-13-2005, 08:54 PM
HCF Member

I knew someone was going to comment on that.

Yeah, I guess I'll go with the good ol' rear firing subs. Dont you work in a audio shop?

Old 07-13-2005, 09:15 PM

Yup, been installing over 6 years now

Old 07-13-2005, 10:00 PM
HCF Member

yea the subs not going to hit right if u face it towards the front. i helped a buddy build a custom box so u could see the subs (we removed the rear seats and used plexi to make the box) but we made a ported box and fabricated it so the port came in the cabin thru the rear speaker deck. It sounded pretty good but we had insane power going to the subs. If we turned em around it woulda hit harder.........so unless ur goin to have over 3000 watts of bass.......i wouldnt really do it. (We were using memphis audio equipment)

Old 07-13-2005, 10:04 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, I am probably going to use a vent or a port into the cabin through the rear deck. I guess I'll have then fire backward and use plexi for the back so you can see it with the seat down. I am still trying to decide how to mount the amps. Any suggestions?

Old 07-13-2005, 10:09 PM
HCF Member

hmmm.......build something custom on the top of the box.......like a 3 inch thick slot where u can hide the amp.......personally i like to hide the amps so u can see em.......its also nice to have SOME trunk space. Thats why im currently running a single 12 inch sub.

Old 07-13-2005, 10:19 PM
HCF Member

Exactly, that's why I am going to a single 12. My 15's eat up my whole trunk. I was hoping LEVIII woul dhave some pics or ideas for me but I think I hurt his feelings with my avatar.

Old 07-13-2005, 10:25 PM

Lol, youll never hurt my feelings

Anyway, youll get the best sound with the subs and port facing the same direction if your talking ported. If your bandpass it is awesome to port it through the rear deck. No trunk rattle and no wasted bass into the trunk.

I just finished like a 4k box in a caddy but I dont think I have pics. Ill have to check my camera.

Old 07-13-2005, 10:29 PM
HCF Member

i hope 4K doesnt mean 4,000........if thats the case then the box better have a blonde inside it.

Quick Reply: Anybody Have Their Subs Firing Forward?