Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Amplifier question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 09:08 PM
HCF Member
Default Amplifier question

What kind of amplifier (mono, 2-ch. or 4-ch.) will i need if I want to power one subwoofer, and all four interior speakers? Or, should I buy a separate amp just for powering the woofer and the 2nd amp powering the interior speakers? I'm a bit confused when it comes to car audio....

Old 01-01-2008, 09:17 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Default RE: Amplifier question

get a 1 or 2 channel amp for for the sub
and a 4 channel for the regular speakers

Old 01-01-2008, 10:02 PM
HCF Member

ok, if i was going to buy this woofer (http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...S&p_status=) how much wattage will the amp need to have? Also, what is the difference between the 2-ohm vs. the 4-ohm woofer (they are both the same price)

Old 01-01-2008, 10:24 PM

there is no difference in performance when it comes to the voice coild of the sub but you would need to purchase the right amplifier when selecting a certain voice coil option. if you were to purchase the dual 2 ohm sub, you will need to find an amp that is 1 ohm stable. if you were to purchase the dual 4 ohm sub, you will need to find an amp that is 2 ohm stable. however, that all changes if you were to purchase multiple amps.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp

Old 01-01-2008, 10:34 PM

ORIGINAL: danomatic93

get a 1 or 2 channel amp for for the sub
and a 4 channel for the regular speakers
x2 i would get a class d monoblock (1 channel) amp for the sub. class d is more efficient

Old 01-02-2008, 08:34 AM
HCF Member

Ok thank you

Old 01-02-2008, 01:38 PM
HCF Member

get a 5 channel amplifier
they're available in a few places

Old 01-02-2008, 06:02 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: imshirazy

get a 5 channel amplifier
they're available in a few places
these are good for asingle sub Otherwise... forget it. Normally don't push much power on the sub channel due to the other four channels.

if you were to purchase the dual 2 ohm sub, you will need to find an amp that is 1 ohm stable. if you were to purchase the dual 4 ohm sub, you will need to find an amp that is 2 ohm stable.
as this is very true, remember... less resistance equals more power. Personally I'd try and find an amp stable at 1ohm and buy the dual 2ohm sub.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:16 PM
HCF Member

I powered two type S's with my 7 channel amplifier, only one channel is for sub, and it kicked plenty hard enough, definitely better than my first bazooka amp could :P
but now im running a type x, im sick of pounding bass :/

Old 01-02-2008, 11:17 PM
HCF Member

resistance does nothig to the perfomance of your sub.... the only reason they make differnt coils is to match to differnt amplifier choices... a low ohm load doesnt mean your gonna get more power out of your amp.... it all has to do with what amp you have and what load it's rated for....thats it... if you understand ohms law you can figure this out.....enough said

Quick Reply: Amplifier question