Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Amp Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 03:39 PM
HCF Member
Default Amp Wiring Question

Okay...

So I know how to run the power cable to the amp and I know how to run the rcas to teh hu. But for a 4 channel i need to run speaker wire to the amp too right? Do I just disconnect it from the back of hu and then run speaker wire to the back of the hu from the amp and connect the two. Or Do I run it individually from the speakers.

Inquiring mind...

Old 04-27-2009, 06:00 PM
HCF Member

The speaker wire is run from output of the amp directly to the speakers, no stops in between, staying away from the power supply of course. If you're taking the time to install an amp, don't try to send the signal back though the tiny factory wiring.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:05 PM
HCF Member

The RCAs send the signal to the amp. All you should need to do is hook the speakers to the amp. I believe the speakers don't need to be hooked up to the HU at all, so the speaker wire goes directly from the speaker to the amp (just like a sub). You can either run your own wire or use the factory harness.

Just be careful cutting wires, and make sure your battery is disconnected. Also, do you have a inline fuse in the power cable for the amp?

Old 04-28-2009, 05:40 AM
HCF Member

You can cheat and use the factory wiring to wire up your door speakers. Then again, you could be a brave soul and try to figure out how to get 12, 14, or 16 gauge wire through the molex plug to your speakers on the driver's side. If you have power windows/locks, it will be FUN!

Regardless, if you are tapping into 2 or 3 feet of factory wire you will NEVER, and I repeat NEVER be able to tell the difference! For your reading pleasure: http://bcae1.com/wire.htm

Old 04-28-2009, 02:29 PM
HCF Member

So...basically...I can cheat and just unplug the wires from the factory harness and then run new wire to the back of the h/u and connect it to the wires I just cut?

Old 04-28-2009, 02:32 PM
HCF Member

Uhhhh, if you're going to use the HU as a power source.....You don't want your speakers hooked up to the hu AND the amp at the same time.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:35 PM
HCF Member

What Im saying is this:

1. Run speaker wire from the amp to the back of the hu (not hooked up to anything)
2. Unplug the speaker wires going into the unit
3. Attach said wires to the wires I ran from the amp

Thats right, right? It wont be hooked up the hu at all and ran to my amp...

Old 04-28-2009, 04:33 PM
HCF Member

So in other words, you are planning on running your amplifier wires to the speaker wires on the harness in lieu of connecting your head unit to those wires? If that is the case, YES you can do that. I generally will splice closer to the door, but an extra 2 or 3 feet won't kill you and I have wired things that way before myself

As for your rear deck speakers.... If your amp is in the trunk, just wire directly to them. There is no point in running wire all the way to the front of the car, just to have your factory speaker wire run all the way to the rear of the car again.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:25 PM
HCF Member

Oh! Gotcha yeah that should be fine. But like Gunz said, do that if you can.....and stock wire sucks

Old 04-29-2009, 08:18 AM
HCF Member

yea I figured that for the rears.

One last thing...I hope. Is there any way to tell which wires are which in the harness behind the hu. I need to identify the front right and front left wires and Im not quite sure how to do that.

Quick Reply: Amp Wiring Question