Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

amp/sub questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Default amp/sub questions

ok so. i have the stock deck n my 05 lx. i have a kenwood x600f 4 channel amp. im looking at getting a alpine deck, but i want to know if i get a alpine type-r 12, if that amp will be able to rock one by itself or if i will need 2. im eventually going to get type-r 6.5's.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:27 PM
HCF Member

You do NOT need two 4 channel amps to run one sub......ever.

Technically, that amp will power the Type R, but it isn't ideal. You'd only be using two of the four channels and you would be under-powering the sub by quite a bit. What you should do is buy a mono amp.

If you're eventually getting Type R 6.5s, you can use that 4 chan to power them.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:24 AM
HCF Member

I was wondering about getting an amp...but I don't have any subs. I just want my kenwood kiv-700 to be louder...I don't care anything about having more bass. I'm one of FEW people that hate bass. So is getting an amp a good idea or...I'm thinking of getting a kenwood excelon one and also need to know how many channels and if I'll need to get a better alternator than the regular "stock" one.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:54 AM

didnt mean 2 amps. meant 2 subs. but nvm lol, if it would underpower one sub, its not gonna help w 2.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:55 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by WKD_DRGN
I was wondering about getting an amp...but I don't have any subs. I just want my kenwood kiv-700 to be louder...I don't care anything about having more bass. I'm one of FEW people that hate bass. So is getting an amp a good idea or...I'm thinking of getting a kenwood excelon one and also need to know how many channels and if I'll need to get a better alternator than the regular "stock" one.
Do you have aftermarket speakers? If so, which ones?

If you dont have aftermarket speakers, don't bother with an amp.

An amp will boost the entire frequency range....but technically you could high pass it and cut off all low frequencies.....

You won't need a new alt. And since a Civic has 4 speakers, a 4 chan amp would be ideal.

Actually, if you're serious about no bass, and just want more volume (over stock) then you should just go buy some Infinity Reference series speakers.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:35 AM
HCF Member

I have pioneer speakers...I think the TSR Series?? Anyway I like the speakers I just wonder if I should get an amp for more volume with those speakers. Thanks!

Old 09-26-2010, 10:58 AM
HCF Member

for a kid, superfly know's what he's talking about, haha Scott, you know i had to.

OP - you can run that amp on the 4 speakers you have now, just utilize the high pass filter to eliminate over driving the speakers; however, you will not want to use it to run a type r. as posted, ideally you will want either a mono or a two channel depending on which type-r you get. you will want roughly 500 RMS for the sub alone.

WKD - how loud do you listen to it now?? you'd be able to drive the speakers a little louder if you utilized the HP Filter in the Kenwood headunit you have. it would eliminate low frequency distortion and allow you to turn it up a little more; however, you'd want to add a sub. adding an amp to your current setup will help with volume, but again, you're gonna wanna set the HP.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:21 PM
HCF Member

What's the HP filter??

Old 09-26-2010, 06:55 PM
HCF Member

high pass, it should be in the x-over menu for your audio controls

Old 09-27-2010, 08:34 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by jagers20
didnt mean 2 amps. meant 2 subs. but nvm lol, if it would underpower one sub, its not gonna help w 2.
Haha yeah sorry.....I'd try to sell the 4 chan on craigslist and pick up a mono amp that does around 500-700 RMS if you want one Type R.

Quick Reply: amp/sub questions