Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Amp is making a noise.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 03:43 AM
HCF Member
Default Amp is making a noise.

When I start my car my amp makes a wrrrr sound kinda like WWWWWWRRRRRrrrrrrrrWWWWWWRRRRRRrrrrrrWWWWWWRRRRRrr rrrrr Any way it will do that for a minute up to five it just depends, then it just stops. A friend said it might be the fan inside it going out or getting ready to. I didn't notice it when it was in my Supra but I think it started a little after I moved my system to my Civic, and I can hear it through my backseat when it's up so it's a pretty loud noise. It still works fine I was just wondering what's up.

It's a Planet Audio 900w if that makes a difference.

Sorry for the long post.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:53 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Amp is making a noise.

So it's making noise in the speakers? When the engine is revved?

Sounds kinda like a grounding issue to me, but I am sure someone else might have an idea.

If it's not in the speakers, it probably is a fan bearing. Those little fans go out a lot, just like computer fans. You might be able to get a replacement, or if you know alot about wiring, just order you a close match and wire it up yourself. Chances are it just plugs into the mainboard in there, and it's probably a little 60mm fan. Here's some on tiger, they go up in size to like 120mm.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:02 PM
HCF Member

No I just start it up, no gas or anything, and it's definitely coming from the amp I put my ear right next to it. I want to replace the amp in the future anyways so I'll keep an eye on it, what should I check in case of a grounding problem. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:40 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: sir_bobos

No I just start it up, no gas or anything, and it's definitely coming from the amp I put my ear right next to it. I want to replace the amp in the future anyways so I'll keep an eye on it, what should I check in case of a grounding problem. Thanks for the help.
Like Stu said; if it's not coming from the speakers then it's something mechanical in the amp, which pretty much means a FUBAR fan bearing.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:38 AM

Yea it sounds like the fan, my amp does the same thing.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:15 PM
HCF Member

The small mechanical devices in the amplifier would not make that type of noise. Depending on the age of the amplifier, most likely dust has entered the actual motor of the fan and this is the noise you're hearing, along with the static charges jumping the dust which is not good for the fan either. Find a replacement fan if possible or try and remove the dust yourself.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:14 PM
HCF Member

You get what you pay for. Planet audio sounds like its falling in the catagory with pyle, power acoustic and pyrmid.....those amps are garbage. By a JBL or Fosgage Bd series amp. for a REAL 900 watt amp, youre going to shell out over 500$ new in box.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:39 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: imshirazy

The small mechanical devices in the amplifier would not make that type of noise.
Is the fan not the only mechanical device in the amp? Everything else is electrical (i.e. non-moving), isn't it?

Old 12-27-2007, 07:09 PM
HCF Member

Mechanical devices in amps do not make "WWWWWWRRRRRrrrrrrrrWWWWWWRRRRRRrrrrrrWWWWWWRRRRRr rrrrrr" noise, not to mention the fact that he said it only goes on for a few minutes before going away, makes it 99% likely it is the fan. Computers do indeed do the same things on startup when the fans get too dusty or even reach a certain age. With the 10 amplifiers I've had and plenty of car audio systems I've fixed, sound either comes from amplifier fans, or if there is an amplifier problem, you can hear it through the subs or speakers, not through the little capacitors, transformers, mosfets, resistors, etc. The only type of noise these would make is a loud pop if a capacitor blows, or a quick whirring sound followed by tons of smoke if a mosfet or other small device goes bad.

edit: plus i never said the fan was the only mechanical thing

Old 12-28-2007, 05:03 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: imshirazy

Mechanical devices in amps do not make "WWWWWWRRRRRrrrrrrrrWWWWWWRRRRRRrrrrrrWWWWWWRRRRRr rrrrrr" noise, not to mention the fact that he said it only goes on for a few minutes before going away, makes it 99% likely it is the fan. Computers do indeed do the same things on startup when the fans get too dusty or even reach a certain age. With the 10 amplifiers I've had and plenty of car audio systems I've fixed, sound either comes from amplifier fans, or if there is an amplifier problem, you can hear it through the subs or speakers, not through the little capacitors, transformers, mosfets, resistors, etc. The only type of noise these would make is a loud pop if a capacitor blows, or a quick whirring sound followed by tons of smoke if a mosfet or other small device goes bad.

edit: plus i never said the fan was the only mechanical thing
I think we're both pretty much trying to make the same point. I know you didn't say that the fan was the only mechanical (i.e moving) part - I did. We are in agreement that it is the fan.

Quick Reply: Amp is making a noise.