Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

alternator

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:50 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: alternator

One thing to realize its not just the alternator you are upgrading. When you upgrade an alternator you also need to buy a relay. Your electronics are only made to take 120amps (whatever factory is). You need to harness the power (as cheesy as that sounds) so that you do not burn your stuff up. A friend of mine upgraded his stuff. It helped, it was expensive but it helped. I will make one suggestion. Stay the F*** away from wrangler gt alternators. My buddy has had his go out twice (within 8months)and the install shop has been charging him to take it in and out (cause he is a douche and will not work on his own vehicle) and wrangler is not giving him any credit or paying for the installation and deinstallation of the alternator. The whole set up (including 1/0 from the alternator terminals and back to a distro block where his amps are) ran him about $850. His alternator is 250amps.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Recognized HCF Member

relay...... nope...

your talking about a voltage regultor... and most have them built into the alternator..only vehicles ive heard that use voltage regulators are older vehicles..... like my 66impala had one till i upgraded the alternator to a higher power and a built in regulator... makes for ALOT CLEANER INSTAL....

now if the voltage regulator goes out it CAN cause problems..... but most the time it burns itself out really fast when something does go wrong internaly and it just doesnt work..

Old 06-02-2008, 12:58 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

relay...... nope...

your talking about a voltage regultor... and most have them built into the alternator..only vehicles ive heard that use voltage regulators are older vehicles..... like my 66impala had one till i upgraded the alternator to a higher power and a built in regulator... makes for ALOT CLEANER INSTAL....

now if the voltage regulator goes out it CAN cause problems..... but most the time it burns itself out really fast when something does go wrong internaly and it just doesnt work..
Remember the good ole days when people used to up their voltage to cheat in sound off competitions? A buddy of mine with a Mazda lowrider truck and 6 15" subs powered by 6 Punch 150s and having all his highs off of a Punch 75 cheated by modding his amps and upping his voltage regulator to 18 volts. He would usually beat everyone in the 900 watt range at the local DB drags.

I used to always give him a hard time since I knew that he cheated because I knew for a fact that he was pushing 500 watts RMS through each Punch 150 and 300 Watts RMS through his Punch 75.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well i know for my local DB comp we have here every year hell you tell them what class your in.LOL you dont really have to tell them much at all....
i had hoped to build up my stereo setup by comp time BUT im pretty sure i wont be in time for the show this year. so looks like ill posibly miss it this year still thinking of going or not but stereo definatly wont be open in the show.lol

Old 06-02-2008, 04:07 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

hahahaha you people feeling old taking out your stereos.....
not me i still love mine! i love the looks it gets but mostly i like the feel!!!!!! who needs a back massage when ya got bass..... just crank it up and get a nice track on [8D]

one day ill grow outta it but for now i love it. im concidering to go larger or not currently.

i agree, i havent outgrown my stereo needs yet. summers here, put on a dope track and let the bass hit! nothing beats it.