Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

alternator

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Default alternator

Has anybody upgraded their alternator on an 07 yet? I have 1500 watts of stereo stuff and my headlights dim when the bass hits. I was looking to get a 200-250 amp alternator. If anybody has any info about alternators it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:25 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: alternator

have you looked at capacitators? I added one to my system and it doesnt dim as much anymore

Old 05-24-2008, 06:06 AM
Recognized HCF Member

caps BLAAAAAAAA CRAP DONT WORK.

1500watts on a small honda battery with stock wires is your main problem. and is that 1500RMS or PEAK POWER?

but anyways first things first upgrade the factory ground wires to larger gauge wire! and a new battery terminals can also help, the factory honda cables and such are just built large enough for stock. anything more would be overkill for a factory car!
i sugest buying some 4gauge wire ruffly 6-8feet long and 6-8 four gauge ring terminals. then pull your factory ground wires off the car, measure them out ruffly and cut and crimp the new 4gauge wires to replace the factory ground wires. typicaly they run from battery to fender, then lower kinda frame rail to the tranny, and front of drivers side motor to the radiator suport. replace those AT LEAST! then you could also upgrade the factory alternators charging wire with some more 4gauge wire to run from the alternator to the batterys positive just like the factory ground wire, be sure to either remove the factory alternator wire or hook it back up if there is enough threads on the alternator terminal for the 2 wires. alittle over kill but easier than tracking down the wire and removing it.

2nd thing to do is go some research and see if you can fit a larger battery in the engine bay. with my 99civic i was able to just flip the battery tray and cut off a small SLIVER of the bottom edge of the case in 2 spots and it fit into my stock battery location. just remember to flip the battery tray to prevent it geting cut thru over time. but then again i also used a kinda expensive battery. optima yellow top D34/78 but no idea if a larger battery will fit in your newer civic or not. if not if you want to upgrade to more power youll have to do a trunk mounted battery.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:45 PM
HCF Member

^like he said.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:10 PM

its 1500 RMS i have 0 gauge wire running to them and it i put in a 20 farad cap to help but knew that it wasn't going to help that much i haven't done upgraded underhood wiring yet and I am going to get a yellow top soon but I was just wondering if there were any performance alternators out there yet

Old 05-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Recognized HCF Member

wel first off replace your factory ground wires and alternators charging wire... THEN see how it is.....

if that doesnt help to much then think about a 2nd battery in the trunk. BUT if you adda 2nd battery then it is ALWAYS RECOMENDED that you buy 2 new batteries. because your old battery could be weak from age or a older battery manufactured date. so to prevent the old battery from draining down the new one its BEST to replace both batteries with 2 brand new ones...

but as to a highpower alternator it is the BEST OPTION BUT it can also be the most expensive!

Old 05-30-2008, 08:30 PM
HCF Member

+1 on an isolator and a second battery! I had the upgraded alternator/battery/isolator/second battery setup back in the day with 2000 watts RMS! It also made wiring the stereo equipment easier since the second battery was right there in the trunk! Of course there still is the downside of getting the wire from the isolator to battery #2.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:37 PM
HCF Member

Actually.. I found a nice hipo alternator for my car for about $220 I think it was? I was thinking about getting it, because I have 1 12" Alpine Type-R, pushing 1500W, and a Kenwood amp at 1700W, and a 4.0 farad soundstream cap. I also have a Optima Yellow Top, and that helped alot. My lights don't dim at all anymore. I'm pretty happy.

But, i'm almost 19 and quite honest, i'm kinda tired of the rediculous bass lol.. I hear kids and black people all around with it, and it is kinda annoying.. I might just sell mine and get some nice 6x9s and front door speakers to suffice, and use whatever I have leftover for my carputer.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:47 AM
Recognized HCF Member

hahahaha you people feeling old taking out your stereos.....
not me i still love mine! i love the looks it gets but mostly i like the feel!!!!!! who needs a back massage when ya got bass..... just crank it up and get a nice track on [8D]

one day ill grow outta it but for now i love it. im concidering to go larger or not currently.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:44 AM

stinger electronics i believe makes a alternator for high powered systems. other than that im not too sure. As far as turning bass down, i work on jets, i worked on f-15's and now B-2's and after working on such a loud beast, I don't care too much for the loud music.

Quick Reply: alternator