Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Alarm and keyless entry controlled by the stock radio?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 10:56 PM
HCF Member
Default Alarm and keyless entry controlled by the stock radio?

I've been doing some reading and came upon some posts that pointed out that the factory keyless entry and alarm are controlled by the radio. I've also heard about a "T-connector" that will allow you to hide your stock stereo behind the dash and hook up an afermarket radio. Does anyone have any info on this? My civic came with an aftermarket radio, so I don't even have the stock strereo, but I'd like to get my keyless entry back and hook up an alarm. Also, I don't want to put a whole stereo behind the dash, are there some electronics I can take out so I have the bare minium behind the dash?

Thanks,

Old 11-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Default RE: Alarm and keyless entry controlled by the stock radio?

Its really not that hard nor bad to use an aftermarket radio. i am using a sony deck but still retained my factory rke and alarm. yes they do make the t-connector but for the cost, its a peice of crap. i wired in the new deck by splicing into the connector left in the factory radio and rke module. thats all the aftermarket connector is doing. i did find out that you need to cut the speaker output wires from the orig radio to help sound quality and at high volumes, it will not distort due to back feeding. also there is plenty of room behind the lower panel and cup holder assembly. pretty easy to do!

Old 11-08-2005, 11:13 PM
HCF Member

How much do the connectors cost? Where can I get one?

Old 11-08-2005, 11:21 PM

you can buy it a crutchfield.com but you can also just cut and splice just as easy. and also you loose the led for the security system b/c the radio ends up behind the dash. radio shack has flashing leds that you can install to enable you to still have a flashing led.

Old 11-08-2005, 11:30 PM
HCF Member

The only harness I've seen at Crutchfield is the standard harness I already have. The LED is on the steering column.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:37 PM
HCF Member

Nevermind, I found further clarification saying that this only pertains to the 1996-1998 model. Thanks,

Old 11-11-2005, 12:04 AM

You only need to relocate the factory radio if you have factory keyless. If not, hook it up as normal, with one exception. The dome light goes through the factory headunit so if you completely remove it, you'll need to jump two of the wires in the little green harness, I think they are Green/Black and Green/Red or some combination of those colors. If you don't the door position on the domelight switch won't work and in some cases, it won't work at all.

And on the harness subject for relocation, All you need is a normal harness and a reverse harness availible at Car Toys, Best Buy, etc... On the reverse harness(the one that plugs into the factory radio), Only connect the red, yellow, and black wires. On both of the other harnesses, hook up the grays, whites, greens, purples, blacks, reds and yellows. Make sure to end up with the little green harness plugged into the original H.U.

Old 11-11-2005, 12:10 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: yamahaSHO

Nevermind, I found further clarification saying that this only pertains to the 1996-1998 model. Thanks,
I have factory keyless and my dome light already works fine with the new stereo.

Thanks anyway.