Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Aftermarket Keyless Entry/Remote Start/Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:56 AM
HCF Member
Default Aftermarket Keyless Entry/Remote Start/Alarm

I want to get a Aftermarket head unit for my 97 EX but of course, the receiver is in the stock head unit so I would loose factory keyless. I don't have a remote but could get one of of ebay fairly cheap.

My question is dose anyone here use an after market system for remote start, keyless and/or alarm? i so what brand and how easy is the install? Do I need a system with an alarm? what brands are good and which should I stay away from?

Right now looking around I found a good deal on this the Viper 5601 system.

Thanks in advance.

[EDIT: and yes I looked online and found only a few reviews]

Last edited by Tiran; 12-29-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:41 AM

just use this and hide the old stereo in the dash. this will allow you to keep factory keyless entry

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-19...mZ350139093962

Old 12-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well if you just want keyless entry and nothing else. do what he said ^

but if you want a alarm system and what not then upgrade. if you know basic wiring you can install one yourself... main thing to remember is when you open the box dont get overwhelmed... you dont use half of those wires
keyless entry units are VERY EASY ON HONDAS!!!!!! hondas use a negative pulse to lock and unlock the doors and every alarm uses negative pusles for the door locks so it ssuper easy! theres a plug on the back of the fuse box hanging up tucked behind it that has 2 wires and thats your keyless entry wires. very simple! i hate doing US vehicles since they use several different types of locking systems that need extra relays and junk

Old 12-29-2008, 04:22 PM
HCF Member

Since you are planning on switching out the radio, I would recommend getting an alarm just so that you have a little bit of added protection.

and yes viper alarms are really good quality alarms. that is the only brand we carry at my work, and we never have problems with them.

Even if you don't get a Viper, stay with a brand made by Directed Electronics. Directed makes Viper, Python, Clifford, Avital, Hornet, and a couple others that are less common. I would stick particularly with Viper, Python, and Clifford, those are their big name brands and will be easier to find.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:35 PM
HCF Member

i have viper and its great but my shop recently stoped using them and is now using prestige on the lower models and autostart on the higher end ones such as security and if you are already investing the time and money go with security for one it keeps people from even thinking of messing with your car and i love the chirp that it makes when i lock or unlock the doors

here is a link to your wire colors and locations http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...tail/1050.html

Last edited by kanarrjl; 12-29-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:40 PM
HCF Member

Reading into it more, the viper alarms don't offer window break and tilt sensor standard, at least not for what I have budgeted (around $200).

Therefore I see no point in getting an alarm system when in reality I would be fine with just a aftermarket keyless and remote start.

Therefore I think I shall be purchasing the Viper 5101 It gives me remote start and keyless and is about 30 dollars cheaper.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:39 AM
Recognized HCF Member

no alarm comes standard with glass breakage sensor or a tilt sensor.... those are additional...

and the glass breakage sensor is not worth it IMO! lets face it if they smash a window out then they will open the door.... and if you have the door pins wired to the alarm then the alarm will go off!

and the tint sensor is a easy addition to any alarm system. thats the one sensor i do like.

so if your budget is only 200bucks then keep saving for some more money buy the alarm/starter system and if you still dont have enough cash then just buy the tint sensor later on. the glass breakage sensor really isnt worth it!

for instance if its a smash and grab alarm or no its not going to stop them from smashing the window and grabing what ever you have siting on the dash or back seat in plain view... and thats your fault!
a smash and grab is just that....

Old 12-30-2008, 06:50 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
no alarm comes standard with glass breakage sensor or a tilt sensor.... those are additional...

and the glass breakage sensor is not worth it IMO! lets face it if they smash a window out then they will open the door.... and if you have the door pins wired to the alarm then the alarm will go off!

and the tint sensor is a easy addition to any alarm system. thats the one sensor i do like.

so if your budget is only 200bucks then keep saving for some more money buy the alarm/starter system and if you still dont have enough cash then just buy the tint sensor later on. the glass breakage sensor really isnt worth it!

for instance if its a smash and grab alarm or no its not going to stop them from smashing the window and grabing what ever you have siting on the dash or back seat in plain view... and thats your fault!
a smash and grab is just that....
I like the DEI 509U or the Autopage SIS-12 in lieu of the glass break sensor. They detect drops in cabin air pressure but are ineffective if you leave your windows cracked or rolled down. This would stop one of the old school thieves who was pretty slick because he could get in through the sunroof or the rear window of a pickup truck without setting off your traditional car alarm. As soon as cabin pressure drops, the alarm will go off!

As for remote start, I refuse to do that on my vehicles because they are both manuals. I was told it can be done safely, but my Mustang has enough torque to overcome the parking brake! At my former job, one of the manager's had her grandchild juice the remote start on her son's truck, and the truck drove through her house. Making matters worse, both the homeowner's and vehicle insurance denied the claim because her son disabled the clutch safety switch. She had to pay over $15,000 to fix the house and her son was stuck paying on a note for a vehicle that he no longer owned! The truck was not totaled but he couldn't afford to fix it either!

Old 12-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Banned

one of my buddies had remote start and it kept startin and **** in the walmart parkin lot and it started the car on fire haha

random but i thought i would share that story with you

Old 12-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well ive had a remote starter on 3 seperate manual vehicles... what makes it remote start safe is YOUR HABITS and if YOUR THE ONLY ONE that gets into the car
no one ever drives my cars and i do all my own work...
and if you have any work done to the vehicle be sure to put the alarm in valet mode to be safe.

but they do have manual safe starter systems that you must go thru a certain process when getting out of your car for it to be able to start.
but anyways if your in doubt or have anyone else drive the vehicle then dont get a remote start on a manual vehicle....

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Keyless Entry/Remote Start/Alarm