Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Advice on amp/sub

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 06:25 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Advice on amp/sub

Okay so let me get this straight if i get a mono subwoofer i would want around a 600 watt to power both my http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ej1EmMC...s=0&cc=01?

Then later on I can get a set of component speaker system and buy a 4 channel amp and hook it up like a seperate system? Or would I have to "bridge" or somehow connect the 2 amps?

Old 01-13-2007, 08:21 PM
HCF Member

Right on! Your subs can handle up to 350 watts RMS each, if you buy the ones you listed, thats 700 total if you hook it up as a 2 ohm resistance load, that option A i spoke of somewhere above.

A 600 watt RMS rated amp will provide about 300 per channel hooked up at 2 ohms, which gets you just above 75% power, that should be ideal!

When you choose an amp, just make sure its 2 ohm stable, and if its an option, go with something that has maybe an aux. output channel for adding a 2nd amp. This allows you to just throw another short RCA wire from that amp to your 2nd amp you will buy later for the interior speakers, and your in business.

= You can power the 2nd amp by getting some sort of distribution blocks, available on ebay and in any audio store, and running 1 main power and ground wire to each, then a seperate wire out from the block to your two amps. It's ok to splice into the remote *blue* wire somewhere in the back, and secure it correctly to both amps, but power and grounds need to be solid, and trying to twist/tape/crimp them all together will just get you in trouble.

Some Head-Units, well most of the better ones, will have multiple outputs, however, and you might choose to run your subwoofers off of a "rear, or subwoofer" output channel, and your interior speakers off a "Front, Rear, or both" outputs from your deck. If you choose to do that, you will have to run a seperate set of RCA wires to the back *or wherever you put the 2nd amp* so that when you use your fader for example, you can correctly fade from the rear to the front and etc...

If you have 3 sets of outputs, I would probably suggest running all 3 RCA sets, but if you are on a budget, you can easily run 1 RCA wire and either bridge them to a dual connector, or run them through your sub amp and out to another. If you choose that method, you may choose to run your entire system off of a "Front/Rear" RCA output, just in case you have some sort of low pass filter built into your head-unit that might effect the interior speakers from reaching their full potential.

If I confused you let me know, I confuse myself alot.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:20 PM
HCF Member

Edit 1: O BTW i have a Alpine CDA-9856 deck

This any good?
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-PAHxUQTdtnS/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&I=500MRPM650

Old 01-13-2007, 11:56 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Njai

Edit 1: O BTW i have a Alpine CDA-9856 deck

This any good?
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-PAHxUQTdtnS/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&I=500MRPM650
That's a very good choice. I have personally used that amp to power 2 12" Alpine Type R's, and it was great.
Or, Like Remmy said, a JBL amp matched with 2 Perfects.... You can't go wrong with that!
There is a JBL amp that puts out 580@2ohms for $275 with free shipping at SoundDomain
http://www.cardomain.com/item/JBLGTO6011II

Old 01-14-2007, 11:56 AM
HCF Member

That should work find, wired at 2 ohms, your all set.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:19 AM
HCF Member

Anyone recomend any boxes??? Prefer from crutchfield...

Im planning on getting a sealed box but was wondering if i should get a double one or 2 singles.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:12 PM
HCF Member

Anyone suggest one (prefer crutchfield) with a link???

Old 01-17-2007, 07:42 PM
HCF Member

This box is a hatch style, relatively in-expensive 10 box that provides perfect airspace for your chosen subs :

This box is pricey, but offers the same amount of airspace. I will be honest though, it doesn't have to be pretty to work, the cheap box would offer the same sound as this, if you want a sealed *tight* bass sound.

This would be about your only option from them, for a Ported *harder/louder* bass type box. It's pricey, and I really wouldn't have a ported box, but some people are different, depending on what type of music you like.

I will be honest with ya, you can probably find a similar Q-logic type box at a local shop, and if not, you can probably find some place that will order it for you. Most shops will eat the shipping charges to sell you the box, If you find one local for 60 bucks, then I would buy it. Just verify that the airspace's are the same.

Again, sealed boxes are going to offer tight, deep bass, ported will be a "punchier" more rock music bass, More people pick sealed then ported, around here at least.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:45 PM
HCF Member

Ty alot man! I think im all good to go... I got a alpine amp, da sub wit a freebie one, box for both of em, StreetWires PSK08BI 8 gaugeAmp Wiring Kit Blue with Patch Cable... Anything im missing before I checkout?

Old 01-18-2007, 11:21 AM

If you're still looking for an amp/sub I'm running all alpine and JL in my CRX. But I need money and need to get rid of it. All of the components are literally brand new, only used twice before i wrecked the car. I have 4 6.5" alpine type S speakers and an Alpine monoblock 600w(RMS), (800w MAX) amplifier that powers a 13" JL w3v3 in a custom ported and carpeted box. I had it in my '90 CRX Si and it was so loud, that when i turned it up halfway, i had to get out of the car to run it like that. Just the bass system is going for $750 obo. and if you want the speakers, they'll be $130 obo. Call 913-526-6471 and ask for Jacob or email me at rollinon56@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: Advice on amp/sub