Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Advice on amp/sub

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 03:14 AM
HCF Member
Default Advice on amp/sub

Okay I just got a brand new alpine deck CDA-9856 and was looking for a good amp/sub to go with it. I am new to car audio but my uncle says he can help me build a box for the sub. And after I get amp and sub I want to add component speakers.
So any suggestions for good subs and amp?

Old 01-07-2007, 12:00 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Advice on amp/sub

www.crutchfield.com

i recommend the 12 inch infinity 1250 reference subs, or the 10's, with a profile 1200 amp......how much u got to spend???

Old 01-07-2007, 01:47 PM
HCF Member

It really is all based on what you want to spend, and how much sound output you really want. If you have a civic for example, you can easily get 1 12" sub to sound almost as good as 2 10's, but if you have a larger car you might want to go with 2 12's instead.

Crutchfield is a great resource in learning what you need for what subs, how to wire them, etc.. Or you can go here, to read up on things.
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com

If you ask me, of course, JL audio subs are a nice match for any audio system. Most people describe JL speakers as having "Tighter" bass, and its usualy more precise then some other subs. I have had experience with Kicker, MTX, Pioneer, and JL subs, and I rate my JL's above any of what I heard from the latter.

As for amps, I have had wonderful luck with Precision Power, Orion, and the older Rockford Fosgate amps *bat wing*. But all of these brands are a little on the pricey side.

If you want a simple system that doesn't break the bank I would suggest something like the Infinity Reference series line, or the Kicker Comps, perhaps a dual 10" set with a nicer amp to boot. Your amp will be the key for any speaker line-up. If the amp has the extra power, you won't regret it.

Remember to choose an amp that supplies power to the upper range of the speakers RMS power, this is the power it needs constantly to sustain propper performance. IE: If you get a pair or 50-300 watt RMS subs, that means each sub wants at least 50 and not more than 300 watts to operate. To keep the subs from distorting somewhat, try to select an amp that will provide at least 500 watts of RMS power, that will divide 250 watts to each sub, which should be plenty of output without risking any dammage. It would also be a good idea to buy something 600 watts, and leave your gain down just a tad in order to keep the amp from working itself to death and in some cases overheating.

Look at your ohm rating and voice coils as well. If you purchase 2 single voice coil subs, that run at 4ohms, you can wire them standard *positive to positive, negative to negative* and your amp will see a 2ohm load *which is good* but only as long as your amp is "2 ohm stable."
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/le...impedance=SVC4

If you decide to get a set of Dual Voice Coil subs that run at 4 ohms, you will need to wire them as seen in option 2 of the link below, which will result in a 4ohm load to the amp. This will cut down the power supplied to your subs. IE: if you have a 500 watt amp, and you are running at 2ohms, you get 250x250, if you are running a 500 watt amp at a 4ohm load, you get less power per speaker, probably more like 125x125 RMS, which means you would need to buy an amp that is 1000 watts, to supply that 250 per speaker.
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/le...pedance=DVC4x2

Ohms are a fishey factor, but one to be educated about, because you can easily wire up a system thats not even working to half its full advantage, likewise you can easily fry an amp by running an ohm load that it will not support, like the 1 ohm setups that some of these diagrams list. DO NOT wire a system to 1 ohm unless you have an amp that is "Stable" at 1 ohm.

I would suggest buying single voice coil 4ohm subs, or dual voice coil 2ohm subs, because both can be wired easily to a 2ohm load, which means you will be getting all the power the amp has to give.

If you need any help post again and we will figure it out, I know several decent resources for car audio, I have been reading up quite a bit, I am thinking about getting a competition stereo in the future for another vehicle.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:13 AM
HCF Member

Im in a honda civic... I want bass but i dont want my sound distorted but still want to feel that bass bangin. Im probaly trying to spend less then 500 if dats reasonable, but still want bang for my buck or good system for the money. I plan on getting some components speakers next.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:41 PM
HCF Member

i stand by my first post, infinity's and a profile amp, def can get it installed with box and evrything for under 5

Old 01-09-2007, 04:55 PM
HCF Member

If you want to go cheap with your amp, check out Boss Audio amps. Some people say they are bad and stuff, but I love mine. I have had Sony amps, infinity amps, etc. The Boss Audio one can hang with all those. And they are cheap. I just bought my brother an 800 watt mono amp for $80. I use a 750 watt 2 channel amp and I love it. But for 500 you should be able to get a nice amp and nice subs so I would stick with the good names.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:12 PM
HCF Member

Not to diss Boss or anything, because I honestly don't have alot of experience with them, but 80 bucks for an 800 watt amp sounds like a 50/50 chance of a fire generated by your car audio system, which is not good.

I have seen a few profile amps, I can put in a word for them. I saw a 400 watt bridged on 2 10's that rocked louder then mine does now, and it never overheated.

Also, crutchfield is having a sale right now, or they were in their last paper issue I got here, buy 1 Infinity sub 10 or 12, get one free. The reference 10 is about 80 bucks, the 12 is 120 or so. Thats 2 subs for the price of one!

Old 01-09-2007, 08:13 PM
HCF Member

I got two audiobahn DUB mag series 12's, and a dub mag series 400 wattmono amp in a 92 hatchback. You can get it all new for about250-400. It rocks hard as hell, and you stillcan get some component speakers with the remainder of the money you are wanting to spend.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:39 AM
HCF Member

Okay thanks a lot guys. I will look into those combos..

Old 01-10-2007, 02:37 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Stumasters
It really is all based on what you want to spend, and how much sound output you really want. If you have a civic for example, you can easily get 1 12" sub to sound almost as good as 2 10's, but if you have a larger car you might want to go with 2 12's instead........................................... .......................
[sm=smiley20.gif] Nice post man. Make sure to read over that whole post Njai... Lots of info.

Listen to what Stumasters is saying. I would definitely suggest stepping up to Infinity Kappa Perfect subs though. They're not much more, and very worth the upgrade. They've got the 2for1 deal for those at Crutchfield right now too. A buddy of mine just picked a pair of the 12.1 Perfects and a 600rms@2ohm Alpine amp from Crutchfield for a pretty good deal, and it sounds great. BTW, Infinities work GREAT in sealed boxes. Not really even worth making vented/ported boxes for them.

Edit: By the way, Boss and Profile are both crap (Boss more so than Profile). Their power ratings are way overrated, they're not made of quality components, and they won't sound very good. You guys should quit recommending them to people.

Quick Reply: Advice on amp/sub