Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

99 Civic, Just got an iPod, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Default 99 Civic, Just got an iPod, suggestions?

I have a 1999 civic LX, and I just got an iPod video.

I'm wondering if anyone had any experience with connecting an iPod with their civic... I'm probably looking into paying 100 bucks for an fm transmitter/dock/charger, but I'm not sure if that is the best way to go... I was thinking about pulling out the cd player, and using that input.

Anybody have any experience in this area?

Old 12-03-2006, 09:24 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 99 Civic, Just got an iPod, suggestions?

Well by experience the fm transmitter isnt really that bad but this is coming from someone with an aftermarekt headunit and subs in his car. But don't expect the highest quality. I mean if your just wanting to listen to decent music go for it and save yourself some money from buying a new headunit. As for the direct cable connections It doesnt have any extra inputs for so don't bother opening up your dash.

Edit: Oh. nevermind just noticed your car has the stock cd player.Not sure about that.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:28 PM

usually a older stock radio will not have any inputs in them at all. an aftermarket one will have outputs for subs and amps etc, but not always an input for an ipod or something. just make sure if you buy a new headunit it has an auxilery input for an mp3 player. or get an alpine with the ipod connector and control it through the radio.

but a itrip is a decent solution and its pretty cheap.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:14 PM

Get this and one of these and you will be happy.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:05 AM
HCF Member

Well I'm pretty sure he would rather save 200 bucks because he already has an ipod. Go with the fm transmitter for now. Your car already has a stock cdplayer so why should you buy another if you already have an ipod. I mean unless you are going for high quality sound and a system in your car.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:20 PM

I didn't suggest anything about a new iPod if you would have clicked the links skippy. A new Alpine deck with iPod cable would be about $200, that's $100 more than he was looking into spending on a transmitter/dock/charger........which the Alpine will do. The ease of controling the iPod (hidden in the glovebox) from the Alpine deck is just like controling a CD. Ease of use and clarity is amazing. How are you "pretty sure" what he wants? I made a suggestion, like others did/will, and he can make his own decision.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:28 PM
HCF Member

Calm down and read what I wrote. I did not suggest he gets a new ipod. In fact I did go those links "skippy". I'm just stating it would save him at least $ bucks to just go with an FM Transmitter. And I'm not making suggestions not being a puppet master. He asks for our opinions and thats what we give him alog with experience with the products. Thanks Chap.

Go with what you feel best.

1. Just buy an Fm Transmitter.

2. Buy a new headunit along with a ipod cable hookup.

Either way your set.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:43 PM
HCF Member

Monster makes a $100 FM transmitter that PWNS.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:17 AM
HCF Member

just keep in mind that the wireless FM mods do receive static allot of times because its wireless , i would suggest a hard wired FM mod monster also makes direct connect ipod interfaces so it will act like it came with the car USA Spec also makes allot of them as well

Old 12-13-2006, 11:28 AM

btw, i have one of those fm transmitters, and you have to have it so close to the receiver and its still fuzzy, sounds like a crappy connection to a radio station. i highly suggest gettin that head unit. best buy has some ipod compatiable headunits that are motorized and the screens flip down for like 140 on bestbuy.com

check em out

Quick Reply: 99 Civic, Just got an iPod, suggestions?