Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

98 Civic rear deck speaker clearance

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 11:15 AM
HCF Member
Default 98 Civic rear deck speaker clearance

I'm finally going to replace the crappy Sony Xplods the previous owner put in my car. I know its a pain to replace the rear deck speakers in this car because there's so much stuff to take out. But I may have another issue and I wanted some opinions from people that have replaced the rear speakers before I opened it up.

I may be getting some Rockford Fosgate Power T1693C's for cheap. These speakers have two tweeters that stick up about an inch from the top of the cone.

Rockford Fosgate has an excellent picture of this:
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...n_US&p_status=

Do you think I'll have enough clearance for the tweeters back there? No bumping against the platic cover? I don't want to everything apart twice.
I'm not too concerned with anything else, they're Fosgate, its a given that I'm probably going to have to shave off a little bit of metal so the speakers will fit.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:54 PM
HCF Member

If you want to make your life a little easier, you can always mount your 6x9s from underneath the rear deck!

Old 05-08-2009, 07:23 AM
HCF Member

Really? How does that work?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Recognized HCF Member

dito mount them from under the deck. its fairly simple get some type of screw on clip and screw, slide the clip over where the screw will go and simply screw the speaker up. very easy.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:54 AM
HCF Member

I honestly don't think you'll have a problem mounting on the top.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:09 PM
HCF Member

my boston acoustic 6x9's stuck out like that, probably not as much, but there was no contact with the deck.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well either way id still advice mounting from the bottom.. mainly since removing them is a HUGE PITA!!!!!!!!! so if they ever go bad or you want to upgrade any time later. then the swap is very easy! no more ripping half the car out just to change the speakers.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:46 PM
HCF Member

If there's no other option, that sounds like a fantastic fix that I would have never thought of. I'd probably be getting something that locks from the top though. I'd prefer not to have my speakers easy to get to personally. I'm paranoid and I don't mind the extra effort, I just like seeing results if its going to be a tedious job.

You should see what someone would have to go through to get my subs =)
I bet its worse than replacing the rear speakers. It takes me about an hour to get the box out, and I know exactly how to get it out. Ripping it out isn't much of an option unless you're using a hatchet on the box or something :P Again, paranoid.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:24 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Shbek
If there's no other option, that sounds like a fantastic fix that I would have never thought of. I'd probably be getting something that locks from the top though. I'd prefer not to have my speakers easy to get to personally. I'm paranoid and I don't mind the extra effort, I just like seeing results if its going to be a tedious job.

You should see what someone would have to go through to get my subs =)
I bet its worse than replacing the rear speakers. It takes me about an hour to get the box out, and I know exactly how to get it out. Ripping it out isn't much of an option unless you're using a hatchet on the box or something :P Again, paranoid.
I think pics are in order

And mounting them from the bottom sounds like a great idea, actually (given what addiction said lol) The stupid clips breaks pretty easy on the back deck, and it really does SUCK getting it out

Old 05-09-2009, 12:18 AM
HCF Member

I actually don't have any pictures, there isn't much to see, just how I wanted it. Lets just say everything is held down with bolts that have very uncommon heads and everything is very awkward to get out. The box isn't going anywhere, its bolted down like hell (strut bar and the trunk floor) and its a pita to get the bolts out. Same goes for all the components. Most likely nothing is coming out without cutting. I doubt any thief would carry such an array of tools, and then there's always the alarm screaming its little head off, and it just gets louder if you try to disconnect the battery. :P

Quick Reply: 98 Civic rear deck speaker clearance