Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

97 Civic front door speakers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 07:23 PM
HCF Member
Default 97 Civic front door speakers.

I bought 6.5" speakers for the front of my 97 Civic DX coupe. I bought these exiles, but as far as I can tell, they don't fit. They have a larger circumference, as well as being deeper. But the installer kept telling me that my car takes 6.5"ers, and that I can just cut out the plastic backing. I came here to get some info before I start cutting out pieces of my door. What's the best way to install these? I'm assuming that I will no longer be able to use the grille that came on the doors (even though I'd prefer to use it because of the look as well as keeping dirt and water out). Can I use 6"ers instead? Any advice you have is greatly appreciated. Thank you, cheers.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:33 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 97 Civic front door speakers.

you can use 6.5s and still use your grill.... just cut the back of the spacers out or make some out of MDF

Old 12-29-2007, 10:03 AM
HCF Member

Since the speakers are a little larger, should i secure them onto the door panel with or 6 screws? I'm worried that the panel is very thin and flimsy, and that they'll rattle since they aren't screwing into their original mounts. Also, Which colors are plus and minus? My new speakers have black and white leads, so I'm assuming black is plus and white is minus, but I'm not sure about the connections since they are multicoloured. Thanks.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:50 PM
HCF Member

I have 6X5 RFs in my doors and I had to cut the back out of the housing. Also used screws to hold it in, just screw them in they hold fine. You my not have to but I did, had to cut out a piece of the center of the grill to it could fit over the tweeter, just used some weather stripping around the hole to make it not look bad. Talking about the grill, on the clips you may have to trim the support things abit to make it fit over the speaker.

EDIT* black is usually negative.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:33 PM
HCF Member

cut the speaker housing off of the door. using a dremel tool will be easiestbut if you dont have that just use a small saw. i have 6.5 alpine type r components and they are fairly deep and they fit just fine when i cut out the housing

Old 12-29-2007, 08:15 PM
HCF Member

Ok well I took my speakers back and bought these mtx' for the front and these energies?

Third, my speakers sound absolutely awful. They sounded fantastic in the store, so I'm pretty sure that I have connected the wires incorrectly. How do I know which wires are which in the vehicle? They are all different colours, and my front wires that came with the speakers are red and white, while my rear wires are black and white.

Thanks for the help, cheers.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:33 PM

connect any dc power source(battery)to the speaker, if the cone pushes out then you have the positive and negative connected correctly, if it pushes in then it is backwards.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:37 AM
HCF Member

Bad idea
for one you're pushing far too many watts into a speaker when you do this, not to mention it heats up, and in no way will that help him determine which wires are which

If you mean in the door, the wire with the black stripe going through it is negative

Old 12-30-2007, 01:22 PM
HCF Member

Whoa for some reason half of my post got lost.

I was also wondering if the infinitis I bought (see link above) are better or worse than these energies.

I also wanted to let everyone know that the 6" mtx's fit perfectly into the stock holes, they're only a little bit deeper, requiring you to dremel off the backing (they stay far enough away from the window though).

Old 01-01-2008, 10:45 PM
HCF Member

Alright all the electrical is good, the speakers sound great, and everything fits perfectly. Naturally there are still problems! The rear dash/side panels aren't securely fastened to the car, so they are now rattling during certain bass frequencies I guess. Has anyone else run into this problem? Should I screw them down? Should I put dynamat or something in between them? I don't want to glue them/anything permanent because I might want to take them out again later.

Quick Reply: 97 Civic front door speakers.