Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

96 Civic: Speakers, Subs, Amp, Radio/Center

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 02:03 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
Dual sucks. Sony is okay. Pioneer is nothing special. Alpine is better.

And croninc, the Dual looks cheaper in person... cheap flimsy plastic.
O i dont doubt it, never liked dual. I was just answering what he thought looked better. But if he is going to pic between the two i would go with sony. Heard way to many problems about dual's breaking and such

Old 06-15-2009, 07:58 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by gunz4me
Exactly what is wrong with buying from an AUTHORIZED dealer and having the full manufacturer's warranty? Sure you will pay more at Crutchfield BUT Woofer's Etc. is NOT an authorized dealer for many of the products they sell! Try to get an item serviced that is covered by the Woofer's Etc. warranty and let me know how well that works out for you.

The fact that you even mentioned caraudio.com tells me everything I need to know about you!
They are an authorized dealer of everything that I bought from them. I have bought from Crutchfield. The customer service is amazing. But you get charged for ever penny of it. Secondly, I have only 20ish posts on caraudio.com. So don't make hasty generalizations. I have found some absoutely awesome deals on their classifieds.

Don't hate. Just about everywhere online is cheaper than Crutchfield. I have no problem with Crutchfield and understand a premium service at a premium price. But imho, buying online should be cheaper than your local store. Crutchfield doesn't fit that.

As far as the op. Good brands for head units are alpine, kenwood, and pioneer. Pioneer has an internal fuse that can be finicky. I've always stayed away but my friend swears by them. I love the kenwoods and if you dont run an amp they usually have a higher internal amp rating. Alpines are good too, however, I've never owned one.

Last edited by 2000Ex; 06-15-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:07 PM
HCF Member

All of you left out Eclipse.... shame, shame....

Old 06-15-2009, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by gunz4me
All of you left out Eclipse.... shame, shame....
For the record, I only mentioned brands that the posts before me were already discussing. I didn't feel like adding to the list. lol

Old 06-16-2009, 08:48 AM
HCF Member

Thanks everyone for all the input on the center deck.

I've decided to go with a different one; the JVC KD-PDR30
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDPD...=detailed_info
and buy at crutchfield.
It has everything I was looking for, it's from a good brand, and it's cheap.
I decided all I needed was a 4 channel preamp output since I probably wouldn't end up getting subs.
But right now the system is already $60 off, and it is one of the few systems that gives me the extra instalation parts for free ($25 value) and comes with an iPod adapter (which would otherwise cost around $50).

Now I am looking into speakers and an amp. What can I get for cheap? What brands should I look into? Also, since I am not getting subs, what speakers should I look for that have a good bass? Also, I really know nothing about amps besides i need one with 4-channels. What other things should I look at when comparing between models?

Old 06-16-2009, 11:53 AM
HCF Member

You should definitely look into getting Component speakers with a external amp.

And you don't need a 4 chan amp Many experienced car audio guys don't have rear speakers. They can pull the stage back and make the music sound like it's coming from behind you (and this is EXACTLY why I don't have rear speakers in my civic....it was annoying).

Before anything, how much do you want to spend? And how much work are you willing to do yourself? Good bass is almost impossible without a sub, and good midbass requires some work.

Car audio is 20% equipment, 80% install

Old 06-16-2009, 12:35 PM
HCF Member

I don't have a specific budget, just looking to keep it as low as possible

and I am willing to do as much work as it takes, I just don't know a ton about what to do.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Superfly
You should definitely look into getting Component speakers with a external amp.

And you don't need a 4 chan amp Many experienced car audio guys don't have rear speakers. They can pull the stage back and make the music sound like it's coming from behind you (and this is EXACTLY why I don't have rear speakers in my civic....it was annoying).

Before anything, how much do you want to spend? And how much work are you willing to do yourself? Good bass is almost impossible without a sub, and good midbass requires some work.

Car audio is 20% equipment, 80% install
Ditto about the rear speakers. The only reason I have rear speakers is because my speakers are directly behind and to the side of my seats, making them still sound like they're coming from next to you instead of behind you.

But that's why I recommend getting ONLY the midbass drivers for the rear, so that you don't have high frequencies coming from behind you.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:37 PM
HCF Member

you could get a set of Id CTX65CS comps and either an SAX125.2 or if you want more bass, get some 8" midbass drivers or 8" subs like these:

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards...g+band&x=0&y=0

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/s...?sort=priceasc

Old 06-17-2009, 12:40 PM
HCF Member

So with what you were saying about not needing rear speakers, could you still hook an amp up to subs with a 4-channel stereo?

Also, my civic is a 4 door sedan and not a coupe, would that make a difference with needing rear speakers?

Also, I found these deals for subs already in boxes on overstock.com and was wondering if they were any good. I'm not looking for anything super amazing, just something good that's cheap. How does this look?
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...9/product.html
or the same thing but 10in instead of 12in:
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...?sec_iid=33969

Also help me out with amps, if an amp says 2-channel 2400 watts, does that mean 2400 watts total? or 2400 watts going through each channel?

Quick Reply: 96 Civic: Speakers, Subs, Amp, Radio/Center