Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2 component systems in the same car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:38 AM
Default 2 component systems in the same car?

Well I got my first car, 02' Civic EX Sedan, andchief among some of the modifications I'm planning on is of course a new stereo system. I've been trying to do my homework but the shear vastness of information is enough to make your head spin.

I was toying with the idea of hooking up 2 component systems in my car. Namely this system. I'd surface mount the front tweeters on the sail panels and either find a place to mount the rear tweeters or make some sort of enclosure for them. Now this brings up some questions.

1) Is this even an acoustically sound idea?
2) Will I lose a lot of sound quality by going with 5 1/4" speakers instead of 6 1/2"? If so, would have the system X2 make up for it?
3) Will having 4 tweeters in the cabin simply be too much and will they interfere with each other?

Old 11-13-2007, 11:24 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: 2 component systems in the same car?

In my experience the 6 1/2" will get you better midrange covereage...the only 5 1/4's I'vfe ever been happy with were expensive ones...and even then a comparable 6 1/2" sounds better. And imo...the rear components are a waste...rears are used mostly for fill anyway, so you gain nothing by having a directional tweeter. My 95 Neon has kenwood excelon 5 1/4" components in the doors and the rear dash...my civic has 6 1/2 components in the doors and 6 1/2 2-ways in the dash...I cant tell any difference as far as having the extra directional tweeters...and the 6 1/2's get me a lot more range. Now I'm sure that my civic having Infinity Kappa series mids plays a small part in the better sound quality...but I've also had mb quart 5 1/4's that were = imo to the kappas and I still like a 6 1/2 better...

lol so after all that rambling...stick with stock sizes in the stock locations and tweeters in the front only....just my .02 (and I have never used blaupunkt speakers ...but always thought and heard them to be inferior to most <---merely speculation on my part...but I would look at pioneer or kenwood mids before those) Hope any of that helped or made sense.[8D]

Old 11-14-2007, 10:53 AM
HCF Member

Isn't blaupunkt an off-brand of someone? At least I always thought they were. Never really experienced those speakers, but I can tell you that a decent 6 1/2 will sound like a good 5 1/4 in most cases. Just depends on how loud you'll be listening to it really. I think the quality is mearly the same. my opinion of course.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:35 PM
HCF Member

put your money into one good set of 6 1/2 components ... you'll be much happier ... i prefer the tweets down in the kick they image better and wont be as harsh.... flipping the passenger tweet out of phase will also help bring your heigth back up to eye level... this is what i've found works good for me... hope it helps

Old 11-15-2007, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll go for a good 6 1/2" set and find something t flesh out the back two speakers.

Though, for now, I've decided to put Car stereo aspirations outside of a head unit, on hiatus. When it comes right down to it I spend far more time at home than in the car, and the money I'd be sinking into a car stereo could be spent on an HDTV, upgrading my computer or one of my other hobbies. I intend to have this car for a while, so I don't need to be in that big of a rush about it.